2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Wheel bearing? Strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 11:11 PM
Dr. Marneaus
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel bearing? Strange noise

2004 dakota, 4x4, 4.7, 140k miles, mostly stock with maybe 1/2" of torsion crank.

Strange thing happened today. I was out on a dirt road bumping along fairly slowly, and i started to hear a high pitched squeaky/scraping noise related to wheel speed. Sounded like it was coming from the front.

Applying brakes did nothing, the sound stayed. I put it in 4x4 and the sound went away for a few minutes then came back. After that, putting it in 4x4 did nothing and the sound remained. After a few more minutes, it went away. few minutes later it came back, all over the course of maybe 3 miles. I got back to pavement and it was definitely still making the high pitched squeeking/scraping/chirping noise. I got the truck up to 45, it was still doing it, kind of fading in and out. As I was headed back home and about to hit another dirt road, it stopped. I got home with it making no noise.

I lifted all 4 corners and didnt hear the noise or feel any abnormal resistance. I did discover that my drivers rear tire has no e-brake function, so potentially the friction material on a shoe could have come loose...but it really sounded like it was coming from the front. I shook the wheel top to bottom and side to side, no play.

I gots to do my front brakes anyway, sometime soon, so i guess i can dive in, but what are the chances of that being a wheel bearing? To my knowledge they have never been changed, and it was a truck from salty NH.

Thoughts? Sugestions?

Old 04-06-2016, 09:10 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Wheel bearings are usually louder when turning in one direction versus the other. Did it vary?

If it's just speed, and since putting it in/out of 4x4 changed the sound, I'd be looking at the front drive shaft. It's always spinning when the truck is moving.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:08 PM
44dakota
Veteran

wheels bearing will be a low pitched growling or whirling type noise, what you described sounds like brakes squeaking..

Old 04-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Dr. Marneaus
Rookie

it did sound brakish, however, applying or releasing the brakes had zero effect on the sound and whether or not it was present.

good call on the drive shaft or maybe CV shafts, however, only initially did 4x4 have any effect. Afterwards, it was there no matter if i was in 2x or 4x. and i couldnt get it to start or stop or change at all by shifting in or out of 4x4.

I intend to do a full brake job this weekend on the front end, i'll inspect the hub assemblies bearings at that point.

I'll also pull the rear wheel that seems to have the non working e-brake and see if something went funky in there.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing? Strange noise