2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Murphy's law and Karma are partying in my garage...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 01:09 AM
Parker84
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Murphy's law and Karma are partying in my garage...

Been spending my downtime, tinkering on this new truck... I've really enjoyed just how much room there is to work under the hood. I come from the land of original minis and volkswagens, where everything is shoehorned into the engine bay....

anyways, as I was singing along fixing my drivers side exhaust leak, I get to my last bolt... number 8 and find theres nothing there.. not a head to wrench on to... got the manifold off... and there it is... less then a dimes width inside the head.

Shouldn't have jinxed it.... shouldn't have said how easy this was and that my bolts came out with ease....

Drill and attempt to extract is all I've been reading. Any thing I should know? Pull the tire, pull the splash guard and hope I can get a drill in there? Find an angle drill?

2004 4.7

Old 07-21-2016, 08:30 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

do not drill or u will be replacing the head.
professionals use a mig welder and weld a nut onto the broken stud. place the nut over the stud, weld through the nut opening in the center of the nut down onto the stud. build the bead up to the nut. let it cool and turn the nut to remove the stud.

Last edited by primem; 07-21-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:10 AM
Parker84
Rookie

I'm familiar with that technique but sadly I am not a welder or own a welder or have buddies that weld.

This forum is scattered with threads of people suggesting to centre punch, drill, extract with easy out... If that's a doomed option then I guess I'm towing to a muffler shop

Old 07-21-2016, 10:35 PM
Parker84
Rookie
Unhappy

so... no one has any successful centre punch, drill and easy out stories to share?

Old 07-22-2016, 08:32 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Bolt it back together missing one bolt/nut and forget about it.

Was it causing you any problems or codes?

Old 07-22-2016, 08:43 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Parker84
so... no one has any successful centre punch, drill and easy out stories to share?
I personally don't but I would caution you to make sure you're not drilling too deep into the broken portion, as to pierce the head. I'd take one of the good bolts out and measure based on that. You only need to go deep enough for the reverse bit to bite and hold. Plenty of PB blaster/liquid wrench beforehand, while manifold is hot and cold.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:17 AM
Parker84
Rookie

No codes... I could hear it ticking when cold and the heat shield was rattling on account of bolts 7 and 8 broken off.

That's a good idea with regards to measuring. I have all the bolts and its maybe half an inch so I'll make sure to mark the bit. My friend is coming over on Monday with a variable speed right angle drill with some extractor bits... We're are going to try nice and slow. If it ain't working, I may very well just throw the 7 on and forget about it as suggested

Quick Reply: Murphy's law and Karma are partying in my garage...