2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Needing some help. New truck issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 12:38 AM
Mlj1111
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing some help. New truck issues

Picked this 01 Dakota crew cab 3.9 4x4 up for next to nothing today via CL. It has some issues that I can address, and a few that I need help on.

Speedo and tach do not move and have abs and brake light on as well. I have a Scangauge 2, and when hooked up, does show MPH and RPM. I assume this means input/output sensor is fine? Reset procedure moves all gauges except speedo and tach also. Cruise works. NO CELs. I am sort of at a loss and as not working do not want to play the game of tossing parts at it.

In addition to this, no reverse in 2wd or 4high, however 4 low it will back up. I assume that this is just the reverse band needing adjusted?
I would appreciate any input on this.

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited by Mlj1111; 08-16-2016 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:43 PM
Mlj1111

I failed to mention that all forward gears are fine, including overdrive. Guess that means reverse band is fine from the little I can glean.
I have sat here and read hundreds of pages and have gained very little insight into my issues.
I am lost here guys.
Please.. someone speak up.

Thanks
Mike

Old 08-17-2016, 06:31 AM
Mlj1111

So... No one drives a Dakota anymore?
2 days now and no response ..

This forum used to be a bit more helpful.
Mike

Old 08-17-2016, 09:33 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Yea a number of people sold their Dak's or have vanished this last year some are still around but don't visit as much others have gone quiet.

I have gone kind of quiet myself but still post at times I cant help you not my kind of stuff.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:26 PM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive my Dakota frequently, but I have nothing to give you in suggestions. Thankfully mine is in my fleet from new and only has around 65K on the clock. And when I do have problems I have a good wrench across the street from my business. That will change soon when I retire and relocate but I hope to find another good guy when I get to Massachusetts.

Good luck on this, seriously. I'm guessing you might find help of the next generation site since it's possible that they use similar electronics and mechanicals.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:08 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you need to replace the sensors for the abs and guages to work. One is on the axle and one is one the transmission/transfer case. Replace both. And they're cheap.

Can't help ya with the transmission though sorry.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:46 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm inclined to think your gauge cluster has failed. Were there any codes from the cluster test?

The cluster is a computer. The signal for the speedo comes from the ABS computer and the PCM. The tach, all the gauges really, are via the PCM.

Normally, you'd get a P0500 fault - no vehicle speed sensor signal if the sensor was bad.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:41 AM
Mlj1111

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
I'm inclined to think your gauge cluster has failed. Were there any codes from the cluster test?

The cluster is a computer. The signal for the speedo comes from the ABS computer and the PCM. The tach, all the gauges really, are via the PCM.

Normally, you'd get a P0500 fault - no vehicle speed sensor signal if the sensor was bad.
No codes whatsoever from gauge test. Just a lack of response from Speedometer and Tach, whereas the rest of the gauges went through their sweeping motions.. I also assumed that as I am seeing rpm as well as MPH on the Scangauge that the input and output sensors are fine on transmission.
I will pull the cluster and inspect it for lead breaks, and if I do not see anything, will find another cluster to try and check results.

I have a hard time swallowing that the abs light and brake light on could be the differential sensor, because the Scangauge 2 is capable of at least giving a tier one generic code pointing to the abs system, where a person would at that point need a more thorough scanner capable of scanning the abs system for the tier two codes identifying the individual components.. Perhaps its all in the cluster...

I made a call to a transmission shop and they were nice enough to inform me that my transmission was fine as it was going into reverse in 4 low. They would not of course tell me what the actual problem was that causes it not to move in reverse in 4 high or 2wd though. They have to make a living and I understand that. That being said, being laid off makes it hard to pay for them to correct an issue that I am more then happy to fix myself if I had the knowledge.

Mike

Last edited by Mlj1111; 08-18-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:54 AM
Mlj1111

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Yea a number of people sold their Dak's or have vanished this last year some are still around but don't visit as much others have gone quiet.

I have gone kind of quiet myself but still post at times I cant help you not my kind of stuff.
I figured it was something like that, or perhaps I was in Fantasyland where everyone's truck runs like new and never breaks down. Oh yes, also with a fine woman in the passenger seat and kegs of cold beer in the truck bed.

Mike

Old 08-18-2016, 12:05 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlj1111
So... No one drives a Dakota anymore?
2 days now and no response ..

This forum used to be a bit more helpful.
Mike
Facebook stole most everyone.

Quick Reply: Needing some help. New truck issues