2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Return line?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Crusty 2r
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Return line?

Does the 1998 Dakota have a return line?
Converting to carb and want to run the stock pump and lines with a fuel pressure regulator and the return line... if this truck has one. Would make life e z
Can't find it. Only see a pressure line then a big black plastic EGR box I think

Old 10-26-2016, 07:54 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

No return line.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:26 PM
Crusty 2r

What is the best option to running an electric fuel pump to feed a carbureted engine in this Dakota? Can I make a return line work in this set up? There will be a lot of fuel returned to the tank that's for sure
Or a cheap generic electric fuel pump that puts out 6psi and doesn't need a return. I heard they don't draw well,pulling fuel up and out. They work better gravity fed. Not sure how I would do that with the plastic tank

Any advice?

This is a low performance build btw.
This Dakota and 318 5 speed will become a Studebaker rat rod. Some day. I hope

Old 10-26-2016, 05:24 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

There is no cheap way to do what you are doing. Absolutely none. Budget about $1000 for your fuel system to do it right. The budget for mine is around $1800 and that includes an SFI tank and keeping the EFI (but going to a High Volume due to boost). You may even be better off, for your build, going to an aftermarket tank and Holley blue pump. Might be cheaper to run the holley blue pump at 9psi than to try and regulate 42-50 PSI down to 6 psi. you'll need a #6 return line to bleed that much off, possibly.

I case you missed my reply in the other topic:

1) HiPoTek makes engine mounts to go from the Magnum frame-pin to the LA ears for this exact swap. I bet he has a bunch of other tips you could use too. http://stores.hi-potek.com/high-perf...rwd-1997-2003/

2) There's nothing special about the fuel system. The LA motor should have a mechanical fuel pump that you can run for carb. You can try to get the EFI 45 psi down to 6-8 psi with a return regulator if you insist to run the stock tank. I'll probably work ok but make you your regulator has a large return port, you'll be bypassing A TON of fuel.

3) I'm not sure what the best option is with the oil pan. HiPoTek might have an answer for you since he makes stuff for the LA/magnum retrofit.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:36 PM
Crusty 2r

Thanks for the advice. I Ann looking into my options.
As for the motor mounts and oilbpan- I have been emailing with Richard at hi po tells and he has been very insightful. Thanks for that tip