2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Charging issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Charging issue

Edit: Meant to post this in 2 gen Dakota forum. Mods, please move. Thx

While driving to work this morning, check gauges light turned on and I saw that the battery gauge was at zero. It has always been rock steady a hair above halfway point. I turned around and drove home with only my fog lights, to preserve battery.

Let truck cool off, checked voltage with truck off and it was 12V. Turned truck on and voltage was now 14V, with no check gauges light. Drove to O'Reilly's and had it checked with truck running and everything passed. Drove a mile down the road and it happened again. Checked while running and it was 12.6V. Drove back to O'Reilly's tested again and this time the voltage regulator failed.

The alternator is a Delphi 136A reman. It was installed in 2012, and has 52K miles on it.

I've read a few threads and it says the voltage regulator is located in the PCM, another said ECM. Saw a few people had replaced alternators only to still have the issue....

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Dodgevity; 11-02-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:30 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Dodge calls it the PCM, not ECM, and yes the voltage regulator is part of it.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Thanks. Could I swap it out with a junkyard unit, or is programming needed?

Old 11-01-2016, 05:29 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

I wish it was an external regulator, would fix so many things. Have always wondered if the PCM would completely flip out if you were to swap to a GM aftermarket 1 wire alt.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:38 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Well, fellas. I decided to take it back to basics.

O'Reilly's has that fancy pants tester which tested it on the truck. Remember now, after the first time it flipped out and I parked it, I was reading 14V after it cooled down. I was believing their tester when it said bad regulator. I just said to heck with it, yanked the alternator and took it to Autozone to have it bench tested. It failed with flying colors. I then took it to Advance and it failed again. So I picked up their house brand CARQUEST, Made in Mexico, alt. It's lifetime warranty and it's easy enough to change, so if it dies every three or four years, that ain't so bad. Just test drove it for a few miles and steady voltage so far. Will report back again after I drive it to work tomorrow.

By the way, where is the freakin Alternator fuse on this engine? I checked the under hood fuse block and the most I saw was 50V.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 11-01-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:30 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Well, fellas. I decided to take it back to basics.

O'Reilly's has that fancy pants tester which tested it on the truck. Remember now, after the first time it flipped out and I parked it, I was reading 14V after it cooled down. I was believing their tester when it said bad regulator. I just said to heck with it, yanked the alternator and took it to Autozone to have it bench tested. It failed with flying colors. I then took it to Advance and it failed again. So I picked up their house brand CARQUEST, Made in Mexico, alt. It's lifetime warranty and it's easy enough to change, so if it dies every three or four years, that ain't so bad. Just test drove it for a few miles and steady voltage so far. Will report back again after I drive it to work tomorrow.

By the way, where is the freakin Alternator fuse on this engine? I checked the under hood fuse block and the most I saw was 50V.
There's not one. There's a fusible link somewhere. I took it out when i relocated battery with a master switch, and put a 200 amp MAXI fuse in line.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:15 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Thanks, fellas. Looks like I'm in the clear. Drove 26 miles to work and no issues.