2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Water pooling on floor

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Volkster13
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pooling on floor

Recently just got this Dakota it's a 99 2wd and I'm having an issue with water pooling on just the driver side floor under the front floor mat after it rains. I've tried and tried with my dad to find out where the water is getting in at using a hose to spray all over the cab. Unfortunately We have had no luck sourcing it

Has as anyone else had this issue and been able to source where the water is coming in?? Or does anyone have any ideas?

any ideas would be great

Old 12-01-2016, 02:24 PM
ThatThingGotAHemi

I would start with the weatherstripping on the door/body.

Very common for them to crack or make a weak seal.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:54 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I dont have a dodge any longer but I'm still lurking around.. It's very important while its raining take a flashlight and see where it's coming from.

I had a 98 club cab and can tell you the key places i found.. as i kept having same issue but on passenger side.

1 (and this was a big leak) there is a POS seal they use foam where the mirror mounts to the door; its very easy for this to start leaking into the cab as there are 3 bolts that stick through and bolt down from the inside so if the seal leaks there is gaping hole for water. I used silcone there and sealed it up.. no more leak..

2. I had leak coming from the rear also that I found from the rear club cab window (Replaced seal) and also the back window had the sliding glass this also caused a leak

3. one more leak back there was from the 3rd brake light..

I found all the leaks by looking for wet shining with flashlight while it was raining.. and found where the water was coming from.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:14 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

given the source, pop that footwell panel off and look between the door and cab. There's some rather large openings in the side of the cab, they should be sealed with plugs or bellows hoses.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:20 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I would look at your firewall both sides in and out look at the steering wheel shaft where it connects to the firewall also.

Tape anything that looks like a possibility.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:08 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have an air compressor, you can have somebody sit inside the truck while you blow air around the windshield, doors, and other possible entry points. You'll hear when you find a leak.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:14 AM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it happen when the truck is stationary or only when it is being driven? I'd assume stationary but gotta ask!

I also had a serious leak problem showing on the floor on my passenger side that turned out to be the sliding rear window I had replaced. The seal/gasket got ripped during the replacement procedure and leaked only during rains. It showed up in the passenger well even though I did see it in the rear well too. Since the rear floor is higher than the front the water ran into the front well. We pulled the window, found the cut gasket, replaced it, and the problem no longer exists. (Actually Safelite did it. A friend is a local regional manager so he made sure things were done correctly.)

Old 12-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Volkster13
Professional

Originally Posted by patchelect
Does it happen when the truck is stationary or only when it is being driven? I'd assume stationary but gotta ask!

I also had a serious leak problem showing on the floor on my passenger side that turned out to be the sliding rear window I had replaced. The seal/gasket got ripped during the replacement procedure and leaked only during rains. It showed up in the passenger well even though I did see it in the rear well too. Since the rear floor is higher than the front the water ran into the front well. We pulled the window, found the cut gasket, replaced it, and the problem no longer exists. (Actually Safelite did it. A friend is a local regional manager so he made sure things were done correctly.)

Happens when it is stationary. I sealed around the mirror yesterday and it rained last night I was hoping that was where it was coming from but when I went to work this morning I had a nice puddle. I don't have a sliding rear window on this truck unfortunately so it can't be from that. I'm going to try the third break light when it stops raining. Really been driving me nuts.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:50 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

It only takes two screws to get the third tail light off its connected by a single plug/connector pull it out/off and tape the hole up see if it stops.

Your windshield could be the leak it happens

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 12-05-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:54 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Really need to be in the cab with a flash light looking for the water sparkle to see where its coming from or someone with a water hose.

It be from any seal or point on the truck.. non of my seals except what i listed leaked so that's what it came down to; but the point was getting in there and finding where the water was coming from.. water does strange things; my leaks from the rear would not pool in the back but would run down the side of the truck to that one side LOL!!!!

you might even have to pull pannels to find the source of water.. all suggestions are great one's just gotta look while its raining or someone is out there with water hose soaking the truck.