2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Trouble diagnosing wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:12 PM
Jacob Dale
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble diagnosing wheel bearing

So I'm almost 100% I have a bad wheel bearing. Only problem I'm having is determining which one if not both. So I read a few instructions on how to diagnose it including the swaying to see if the noise suppresses when swaying one way, and it does when swaying to the left (putting the weight the front right wheel the noise goes away) putting me with conclusion that my front left is bad. So I jack the front end up to see if there is any play in the front left and there is none. So I check the other wheel and there's tons of play in the up and down motion aswell as side to side. Any ideas help. I ordered one wheel hub to replace whichever side is the one needed replaced. I'm assuming the wheel with play in it. Just trying to figure why there's a lot of noise coming from the front left.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:54 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Well usually if one is bad the other is just behind it replace both.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:15 PM
arp
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a tune up - plugs and air filter - took it out for a test drive and all the sudden had a funny noise from the front - like maybe wheel bearing. Took it to Les Swab and they told me bad bearing in the front, couldn't be sure which - $800 for both. I replaced both myself (you'll need a sledgehammer to get the old hubs off) and still have the noise - absolutely no change.

I have decided it is related to air movement (changes intensity and pitch with different wind gusts) but can't figure out where. Also very noticeable from the driver seat but not really from the passenger seat. Go figure-

Old 02-01-2017, 07:26 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

$800 for both yikes?

About $150 or more DIY not that hard at all just remember to use the proper torque settings don't just crank them on or your new hubs will only last about a year.

Seen the just crank them on people every year replacing them as soon as 3 months do not go beyond the proper torque its important.