2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bumpers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 05:54 PM
rodrif
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bumpers...

Hey everyone...

I am looking at getting a new bumper, front and back for my 04 V6 Dakota Sport Plus 3.7. I noticed a majority of people that have a front ends and back ends have V8's. Does anyone have an opinion and/or advice on whether or not my V6 3.7 can handle a bumper like the one in the link below? Or should I go with something else. Also, will I have to beef up my front end suspension i.e. Better shocks with springs, which currently have only shocks, and/or better torsion bars? Any info would help.

I am trying to get my summer projects and purchases lined up. I am planning on installing an eFan in place of my OEM fan clutch but I was a little weary until reading the forums on that and thanks everyone for the good info.

http://toughcountry.com/bumpers/deluxe-front-bumper/

Old 01-29-2017, 09:42 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 377 Likes on 338 Posts

2 grand for the front bumper alone and that's with the thousand dollar off "sale?" If you buy these bumpers, I advise you not to mount them. Keep them in the passenger compartment and use the rest of the truck to protect them in case of accident.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:14 AM
rodrif

I agree with you Dodgevity, but it would look so much nicer on the outside of the pickup.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:40 AM
Sonocativo
Professional

any truck can handle them, but the motor will suffer. that's a ton of weight you are going to drag around for a small motor. Your mpg's will suffer, your suspension will suffer... and your wallet will hate you eventually.

If you have a stock truck, no beefy suspension or powertrain, you are best off to avoid that altogether !

Old 01-30-2017, 10:36 AM
rodrif

Thanks Sonocativo. Is there a bumper that you or anyone else suggests to look into? Or should I stick a stock bumper with a cattle guard or a light weight bumper?

Old 01-30-2017, 10:44 AM
Sonocativo
Professional

Originally Posted by rodrif
Thanks Sonocativo. Is there a bumper that you or anyone else suggests to look into? Or should I stick a stock bumper with a cattle guard or a light weight bumper?
I don't believe they make those styles light weight as they are mainly for off road ( and illegal for street use in most states)

You might find a cool bumper cover or convert to a next gen bumper to change the look/stance, if that's what you are after. As far as aftermarket custom bumpers its pretty limited unless you have a shop build one of lighter weight metal (thinner steel or aluminum) just check local laws on bumper requirements before you fork over 2 or 3 grand for a paper weight.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:51 AM
rodrif

Thanks for the info. I already checked local and state law on the requirements and vehicle codes on aftermarket bumpers and fortunately in ND there is nothing that really stops me from getting one. The only requirements are that the height and clearance met and width is also met.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:20 PM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Offroad use only" is a 'cover your tail' statement that a manufacturer has to put on loads of aftermarket items. It doesn't seem to stop people from buying and using them, nor does it ever seem to cause a cop to ticket anyone either. Look at all the black glass covers and stupid bright headlights running around.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:15 PM
Sonocativo
Professional

Originally Posted by patchelect
"Offroad use only" is a 'cover your tail' statement that a manufacturer has to put on loads of aftermarket items. It doesn't seem to stop people from buying and using them, nor does it ever seem to cause a cop to ticket anyone either. Look at all the black glass covers and stupid bright headlights running around.
Around here the cops love those idiots with 5% windows, Blue headlights , pavement scrapers , thumpers, fart cans and those bumpers, most of the ones who chance it even go through the pains of swapping crap out just to pass inspections only to swap it back over afterwards... They feel all cool and stuff, then it gets old and they sell it after a few $$$$ in court.

I had to get fender flares as my tires stuck 3" past the body, if your fenders don't cover the tires they will get you ( I chanced it for about a year ) and finally got a set.

some areas no one cares, others look to make revenue off of everything.
Just stay safe out there.