2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Stupid P0499 Code

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:12 PM
Dr. Marneaus
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stupid P0499 Code

Halp.

2004 Dakota, 4.7l.

So, I've researched this a few times and dont seem to find much info on it. I'm intermittently getting code P0499. Previously, it only occurred in warm weather. I figured it was only when the gas tank was pressurizing and building pressure in the heat.

The other day I got my truck stupidly muddy and spent 20 minutes with a pressure washer (just the car wash kind not high pressure) and the light came back on for code P0499.

My reading tells me this is likely not the fault of the actual purge control solenoid, but more like an electrical connection, something grounding out or having poor connectivity.

I've done some reading and seen that the big plug/connector right behind the drivers wheel well has something to do with this...that was directly in the path of my attack with the pressure washer, but it doesnt explain why it only happens in hot weather.

I bought a new solenoid today to replace just in case it fixes it, but does anybody have any better info or actual experience with this code and can help me in the right direction?

On a related note, there appears to be missing one of the panels that covers that connector, and covers the brake line connections etc that are housed right there. I still have the majority of the inner fender splash guard, but it looks like part is missing. Can anybody point me in the right direction to replace that panel?

Old 02-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Dr. Marneaus
Rookie

Think I found it. Looks like one of the wires on that comnecter under the fender well was pinched and it actually broke off in my hands when inspecting it this time. Hopefully that'll be it if I just splice and heat shrink and wrap them together.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:01 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
Think I found it. Looks like one of the wires on that comnecter under the fender well was pinched and it actually broke off in my hands when inspecting it this time. Hopefully that'll be it if I just splice and heat shrink and wrap them together.
what color wire/what position and i'll double check the FSM for you

Old 02-09-2017, 12:47 AM
Dr. Marneaus
Rookie

Originally Posted by magnethead
what color wire/what position and i'll double check the FSM for you
the one that broke was white with green trace and the one next to it on the connector was orange.

the other end of the connector was blue with white trace and black with white trace.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 PM
magnethead
Legend

Here's what I found for connector 352, which sounds like the one you describe. My FSM is based on 2000, your 2004 may be different.

Seems alot of other connections go through C200.

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-09%20at%206.22.07%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-09%20at%206.21.47%20PM.png

Old 02-10-2017, 01:20 AM
Dr. Marneaus
Rookie

Thank you but that isn't the one. There is another larger one in the same area but the one I am referring to only has 2 wires in and 2 wires out. I'll snap a pic of it when I get a chance.

regardless, the wife broke and I need to repair that. I read somebody else having the same problem and fixing it by repairing the same connector.

http://www.*********.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100767

Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; 02-10-2017 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:22 PM
Dr. Marneaus
Rookie

Okay, I got it fixed.

It was, indeed, the 2 wire connector under the drivers side fender. I cut out the connector, used some exterior heat shrink butt splices, heat shrink tubing over the edges of those on both ends, then wrapped everything in electrical tape, stuffed as much as I could back into the wiring loom, and then tucked everything up out of the way.

I fired it up, let the engine warm, and the check engine light went away.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:59 PM
magnethead
Legend

i'll have to look on mine, i dont recall such a connector.