2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Steering alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 12:41 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Steering alignment

Hi my 02 Dakota it is driving perfectly straight as I let go of wheel but the wheel itself is to the right a tad.
Tires wearing fine.
What adjustments do I need to make?
One other thing I noticed ,only when raining, is play in the wheel ,so I'm not sure if that's a factor.
Is there a adjuster anywhere on the rack?
Any info is appreciated.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:14 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

its may be either a castor pull or tire pull.

you can rule out the latter by rotating the tires side to side....all the left over to the right. if the pull is gone or pulls in the other direction...you may have a concial tire. did this problem start after a tire rotation?

if the cross caster is to large the vehicle will pull to the side of least positive caster. the difference will actual move the steering wheel. caster effects how the weight of the vehicle push down on the spindles. the vehicle wants to rest in the lowest position.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:05 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

If the wheel itself is off but the vehicle tracks straight and you KNOW the alignment is good then you'd need to adjust the tie rod ends - equally - to center the steering wheel.

A good alignment shop WILL do this when performing an alignment. It's what a professional mechanic would do.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:04 AM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

No it has been this way a while where it drives straight even when taking hands off steering wheel a while.i can try tire switch though an see what it does

Still odd that if I'm in heavy rain it has a tiny turn bump noise like there's play in it.Any ideas on this?

I will look at alignment too..is it outter tie rod ends that need readjusting to steering wheel ,when straight?

Old 03-07-2017, 10:41 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

A good alignment shop will check out the entire front suspension before doing anything AND they will center the wheel.

A common problem in the Dakota is the lower intermediate shaft gets either tight or sloppy.

Yes, they adjust the outer tie rods to center the steering wheel - turning them equally.