2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Detailed pic of 04 rear parking brake please!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:20 AM
ketco5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Detailed pic of 04 rear parking brake please!!!!!

This has been a 5 year off and on nightmare for me trying to get my parking brake working properly. The only reason I want to is to make my state vehicle inspection less of a hassle . NYS seems to feel an automatic vehicle needs the parking brake. My truck is hardly driven ( 5000 miles in 4 years)
so things rust and lock up a bit too often. I am currently in the beginning stages of the 105,000 mile tune up. Have mercy on me.

I believe I have the issue isolated. Pretty sure it is the parking brake levers at the rear rotor not installed correctly and honestly I am nervous to try putting them in how I think they MIGHT go.
I have been searching high and low for just a picture of what it should look like. I can find parts lists and diagrams,but none are detailed in how the levers should look.

It seems the 2004 Dakota Quad Cab is the evil step child from 7 hells. You sure can find information on every other year.Boy oh boy can you see pics, videos, repairs, action shots, before and after happy time giggle faces. Must be nice to be loved.

So if ANYONE has a picture of ( I am using the actual name on the parts description that still pisses me off) parking brake lever/ adjusting lever
The parts that physically move to engage the parking brake pads when you press the parking brake pedal .
Again I do not believe they are installed correctly on my truck, the lever looks like it sits way too far in. When you engage the brake, the lever in no way moves the pads enough to stop the vehicle. I think it should sit in between the pads and not the location it currently is. I want to make sure I install it properly. I don't want to have something come lose ,then destroy the inside of this rotor. I verified the levers say R and L and are on the correct side. I read on one description that the bases(parts with the stoppers sticking out) are interchangeable . if someone can verify that as well it would be well appreciated.

Specs on my truck are as follows:

2004 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 4.7L . It may be considered the Sport Plus
Power windows,locks,mirrors, manual sliding rear window and tow package.
4 wheel Disc with rear ABS
Parking brake is still considered drum and engages on the inside of the disc-drum( best way i can find to describe it )
The brake set up is all new. Cables, tensioner, pads,springs and adjuster.

I will upload a pic when this is functioning to try and assist others who like me. Cursing out YouTube and Google when you can not see what you are dying to find out.

P.S.
It looks noting like the self adjusting 2003!!!!!! (comment aimed at the A-HOLE who works at Advanced Auto who once owned a 2003 and therefore his truck was exactly the same as mine and kept on trying to force the wrong parts on me)

Old 03-11-2017, 01:15 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 03-11-2017, 01:15 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Old 03-11-2017, 01:16 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

1 - STAR WHEEL
2 - LEVER
3 - BRAKE SHOE WEB
4 - SCREWDRIVER
5 - ADJUSTING TOOL
6 - ADJUSTER SPRING

Last edited by TNtech; 03-11-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:17 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Old 03-12-2017, 01:45 AM
ketco5
Thumbs up Thank you!

Thank you very much for the reply. Those were the pics I was able to find with some searching, but those are way clearer for sure. My issue was the where to physically put the base/ lower lever. I put them back in the same place I found them when I first took this apart. So that tells me someone had it apart before me. Seeing I am the only owner, I have a good idea who it was. Anyway

This evening I was able to find an actual picture of what I am 99.99% sure is the a 2004 rear parking brake .

When looking at that diagram you posted labeled 80F1CA19, I could not make heads or tails as to where that base should rest. I knew that where it was had to be incorrect, but where did it rest . Then the parts breakdown appears to show the upper lever with the forked side facing in towards the pads .... I hit an epic level of WTF. So anyway, if the winds are not ripping 25MPH tomorrow with a high temp of 25 degrees I will know and put this to rest.

Again thank you for the pictures you shared, they are much clearer than the ones I looked at before . They will come in handy in the future I am sure!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Correct PBRAKE.jpg (50.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png
brake parts.png (90.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-12-2017, 11:37 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

The pic you just posted is mine. I was going to post it and the rest for you, but you stated you didn't want 2003. Personally, I'm not aware of them being any different, but I don't have a 2004 to verify that. Anyway, here are the other pics, just in case they can help.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:53 PM
ketco5

The pics do help for sure.
If the 2003 self adjusting looks just like this on the inside, my original statement is wrong for sure and I apologize.

All I was seeing before were pics of what I assume is a self adjusting parking brake with way more parts than my brake had. I just wanted to see a picture of what my truck should look like.

Again the Advanced Auto guy was being difficult as he had a 03 V6 and i have an 04 V8 quad cab . To him every part was the same for both. Caused me multiple trips,etc.

Thanks again for all the help