2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cant seem to get aliment done right.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:14 PM
Chris Wiley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant seem to get aliment done right.

I have a dodge Dakota 2000. There was a storm a month or so ago I was going slow but somehow managed to hit a curb about 15-20 MPH. It bent my rim and the truck started pulling to the right. It was on the passenger side front.

I got the truck from my dad and figured it need some parts changed out any way.
so I ordered the wheel barring’s, inner and outer tie rod ends and upper and lower ball join and both sides.

I got someone to change all the parts out. Payed firestone for their lifetime allotment. I was told they could not adjusted the caster on the font right due to rust. I left went to a different shop they told me they removed the rust from the bolt. Firestone still told me there could be nothing done. The caster adjustment -.8 and should be 2.6-3.6 any suggestions?
v6 2wd extended cab

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1 (2).jpg (91.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-17-2017, 09:36 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum Chris.

2 or 4wd?

Might first suggestion would be to find another shop.

Why are they saying that they can't adjust the caster? Is the frame bent or is it that they can't move the bolts. By moving the rear upper mounting bolt in/out they adjust the caster.

If the frame is bent then a frame shop may be able to fix it.
If it's still the rust problem then replacing the upper suspension arm may fix it.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:36 AM
DakotaJP

I just got finished rebuilding my entire front suspension. Those bolts between the upper control arms for adjusting caster/camber are a bear to get loose if they are rusty. It took me a few hours with heat, penetrating fluid, breaker bars, ect......

The problem is that you will need to replace those bolts and nuts as the rust has made the bolt heads a smaller size!.....thats why the shop does not want to get into it....

I replaced all 4 (2 on each side) with new Grade 8 bolts, nuts, lock washers, ect so I would be sure the alignment shop would not have problems adjusting the caster and camber. (they still may not like the fact that they have more work to do than usual....but everything should be VERY easy for them as I have done all the hard work!)

Honestly, it may be easier to replace the one upper control arm where the damage occurred....or, it could be the lower control arm that is bent....

a good shop will be able to help you out.....

JP

Old 04-30-2017, 10:13 PM
Chris Wiley

I had a new upper controller arm installed. the guy did a good job and the bolts turn freely now.
I took in to get a aliment I was told the caster had no adjustment left its still at -0.8

Now Im $700 and still have the same problem. Its a 2wd for any one that asked

Old 04-30-2017, 11:15 PM
Chris Wiley

They person that changed my upper arm tells me he thanks it would be the spindle? Could that be it?

Old 04-30-2017, 11:16 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Like 00DakDan said frame bent is a good guess

Old 04-30-2017, 11:21 PM
Chris Wiley

00DakDan replacing the upper suspension arm may fix it. I did that. I hit about 20 mph can you bend a frame at that speed? if the frame is bend is it worth fixing and what would something like that cost?

Old 05-01-2017, 04:03 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

control arm could be bent. control arms are more likely to bend before the frame does. ive seen spindles snap before frames bend

Old 05-01-2017, 08:31 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

It's hard to say without seeing the suspension setup as-is. Surely there is still some travel left in the adjustment if it's that far off. There's not much room for play in the lower control arm, and you replaced the upper (IMHO $700 was way too much, I did it in our garage, no special tools req'd). Only thing left is spindle or the frame.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:56 PM
Chris Wiley

I was told today by a body shop The right side of the Frame is in a diamond. They want $1500+ to make it right. Bent Frame after spending $700+ all ready. Looks like this truck is a loss. 220k mileage. Looking at other cars now I guess I will my dokota