2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Synthetic Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 01:52 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Synthetic Oil Question

www.krcperformance.com... they have some gofast parts for your 4.7 motor. including a killer set of heads. do you have any pics of your engine with the air raid? if the air filter is not isolated from the engine compartment then you can get more ponies by isolating it with a shield. cold air = dense air = more hp. for every 10 deg change in temp there is apporx 1% change in hp (if I remember correctly)

Old 12-08-2005, 03:58 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll send some pics of it. It has a shield that bends around the bottom portion of the stock box and is sealed by the hood. I'm looking for a hood that will be functional so I can isolate the cold air even more.

I created a wish list for my truck. I believe that I'll get around 400 hp at the wheels. If you want to see it, I'll send you a link that will show it and you can tell me if I'm correct.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:36 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

yes, where's the link?

Old 12-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Glk21C
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I talked to my dealership and they said to wait until my warranty is up before I change to sytec because it would void the warranty."

if that meant putting synthetic oil, any brand, in your truck would void the warranty, then I suggest you might want to consider another dealer's service department if you could. That has got to be the most un-educated thing I have ever heard. Something that will make the mechanical parts last longer will void a warranty??!! I am not slamming you Dakotastone, not by any means, it is unbelievable he/she would even say that to someone. I guess that means the 6.1 hemi that comes in the SRT-8 Dodge magnum w/factory fill Mobil One must not have a warranty at all.

I would love to see the pics of your air raid install too. It is one of the brands I am considering for my 06 that is on order.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:33 PM
tcv
Rookie

I switched to Syn oil after only 600 miles. It will not void your warranty as long as you follow the oil manufacturers recommended change interval. Dodge warranties the truck, the oil manufacturer warranties the oil. If the engine ever had a problem due to the oil, it is the oil manufacturers responsibility.

As someone already stated, Syn oil will not cause a problem, but it will make an existing problem become known, i.e. false seals or gum coated gaskets. The syn oil I use is highly detergent in nature and will suspend all foreign matter for filtration.

Be careful what you buy also, not all Syn oils are actually Syn, but instead a Group III Petroleum oil. Mobil 1 is actually a Petroleum oil (Group III). Amsoil is a Group IV (PAO) Syn oil and MOTUL is a Group V (Ester) Syn oil. Basically if you are paying less than $5.00 a quart for Syn oil then you are probably getting a Group III oil not Syn. Mobil, Volvoline, Castrol and most of the other manufacturers got around calling Petroleum oil Syn because of a legal technicality.

Tom

Old 12-10-2005, 04:07 PM
vytamenc

oil is oil is it really worth the extra money you pay per quart. just buy normal oil and change it every 3000 miles.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Glk21C
Professional

oil is oil, is it really worth the extra money you pay per quart??

sure is

Old 12-11-2005, 06:52 PM
tcv
Rookie

All oils are not the same. That would be like saying a 286 computer is the same as a new Pentium 4 computer. Yes they are both Computers, but not even close in what and how well they perform as Computers. The same can be said about oils. The Syn oil I use after a year in my Truck will still out perform (and still pass all API tests) any new out of the bottle Petroleum oil on the market. It isn't just the oil, but also the additive package the manufacturer uses. Most oils will last a long time, but what holds them back is the additive package. Petroleum oils require more additives than a good Syn. There are just more inherit problems with Petroleum oils that the manufacturers have to overcome and they use additives in an attempt to do this.

Another advantage to Syn oil (at least Group V and Group VI) is that they are producted here in the USA. All Group II and Group III Petroleum oils are imported. So if you want to reduce your dependancy on foreign oils just us a good Syn oil.

Tom

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Question