2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT- shaking/white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Logan83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Dakota SLT- shaking/white smoke

Hey gents, ladies, and apache helicopters:

I've never utilized a forum board before for help, but I'm kinda excited to step into this type of community. I am imploring your help to help me figure out my issue. I have a 4.7 magnum v8 with 176k miles. I have a obvious heating issue when I get stuck in stop and go traffic in Brandon, Florida or if I drive for extended distances in the middle of the day heat. I became rather concerned when I noticed a white smoke with a burning smell coming from the front passenger wheel area. So, naturally, I cursed up a storm, pulled over to find the issue, and before I could open the hood, the issue was gone. As far as the immediate aspect was. This problem has repeated itself several times. I have flushed the radiator, thermostat is working properly, and fan is operating as expected. The other issue that is continuing is that when I begin to brake, there is a obvious bounce to it. Sometimes its a little energetic, other times, I'm riding into Armageddon. Now I am assuming, hoping for the best, that I don't have a blown head. It does not seem to be the case, but who knows. When I replaced the tire in the issue area, there was a noticeable improvement and no smoke. Then again it was heavily over cast.
Points to highlight:
Bouncing when breaking
Rides middle of the gauge with heat
White smoke in the front passenger wheel area
Smells like something burning, not exhaust
Thermostat, fan, radiator (flushed) checked ok
Braking system (no noticed warping) checked ok
So that's it. That I can recall atm. Any help appreciated and I can repay in hugs. Or jiu jitsu hugs. Or regular hugs. Thanks again, to whom ever reads this and/or assists. Hope to return some knowledge to the forum in time

Semper Fi

Old 07-02-2017, 08:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

jiu jitsu hugs? Ok, that's a new one. So long as it doesn't involve me ending up on the floor.

Is the engine actually overheating according to the gauge?

Jack up the front of the truck, pump the brakes HARD a couple times, and then try and spin the front passenger side tire. I am going to wager that you either won't be able to turn it at all, or, at the very least, it will be rather stiff. Could be the caliper is locking up, getting hot, and smoking. (smells bad too.....)

If that is indeed the case, crack open the bleeder valve on that caliper. Does the wheel now turn freely? If it does, replace the soft line. If it doesn't, replace the line AND the caliper. (In all reality, if that does turn out to be the problem, I would replace BOTH front soft lines.)

Welcome to DF!

Moving this to second gen dakota section for ya as well.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Logan83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I caved in and took it to a mechanic. I was afraid to keep replacing parts without fixing the problem. Find out tomorrow. First thing they fixed, that I kinda wish I had done myself, was the clutch fan. Tomorrow will yield the out come of my front passenger smoking issue. EEEEEHHHHHHH mechanic labor costs (x.x)