2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

another problem, cluster and transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 02:44 AM
TheMadCanadian
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another problem, cluster and transmission

hi all.
the truck is a 1999 dodge dakota sport v6 3.9l auto rwd.

i changed my transmission gouvernor seleoind and transducer some month ago and it was fine.

also when i bought the truck some days after the cluster glitched. shift light was acting weird ( flashing but not close completly ) , brake , abs , all the light at the bottom were on and no gauge was working. i needed to go somewhere so i took the truck anyway. 2-3 km after it came back.

some day after i swapped cluster bulb to led stripe , same thing happened. pull out the cluster and put it in after fixed it.

some weeks ago i swapped from led stripe to proper leds. same again. pulling it out and back in fixed it.

3 weeks ago i went to start the truck , same problem ! no gauge , check engine and other light on. and i had NO BUS on the odo.

now i dont even have the odo , and today my transmission was starting in 3rd again ! and i get a code about it ( i dont remember exactly ).

but.... if i erease the code , put the switch into off position , remove key , insert key and put it to on position then read code, the code is back instantly. not even starting the truck...
same for 02 sensor ( voltage too high ). i can erease it , it will come back right when i read code. even if i dont start the truck and is cold.

last week it throw me about 10 codes that i cant remember.. ereased codes and reset pcm disconnecting the battery for 20 minute. read code again , about 5 codes and all different from the 10 codes i had before.

i tought " wait a minute... clusted not working , different codes after 2-3 try... its my pcm ! ".
so i tried to find a 99 dakota pcm , no junkyard around 200 km have one. they only had 96, 97, 98, 2001, 2002 , and a disgusting model of 2007. they had a 99 durango and ram.

i bought the 98 dakota and 99 durango cluster. ppl say 98 and 99 are the same.
i try the 98 dak cluster , still same light and no gauge. but the high beam indicator as on then high beam was off and was off then high beam was on. i tought it was not working on 99 so with the 30 days warranty i changed it for a ram pcm as the other dakotas pcm were not looking similar. the ram was a v8 but i know many v6 car works with a v8 pcm so why not dodge truck too. no change for the cluster and truck die right after it start. so it doesnt work in there.

so i will have to choose another part around the same value when i go back to the junkyards.

the only thing i did not check , is the central timer module. i gotta check it tomorrow.
internet say 97-98-99 fit so i can have one at the junkyard.

checked all fuse , unplugged every sensor and module i could access easily... no change for the cluster. the only module i didnt try yet is the airbag module under the dash in the middle. gotta check it tomorrow.

unplugged ABS module , no change. removed ABS fuse , no change.

checked my pcm 5 volt ref , i have a stable 5.14v.

tried to check CCD bus voltage , i have over 5 volt there and is unstable. but maybe i checked it the wrong way.

i love my truck ! i installed hif projector retrofit in the headlight ( long job ) , lowered it 3/4 , changed many parts and ordered tires that fit. i cant sel it , her eno one buy lowered vehicle , especialy truck. ppl dont buy modified vehicle at all here. and i dont have the money to buy another one.

please dont tell me to go to stealership or garage. no one but me and my brother touch my car since years. always problem or incompetent mechanics. lase time they couldnt even follow the fireing order when changing spark wire on a 98 jimmy 4.3 vortec i had to do it for my friend.

i'm totally lost... what the heck could it be ?

i know MECHANIC , not crappy electronic i miss 80's so bad.

EDIT :
i found the problem. it's the big connector with a white cover under the dash driver side. there also a yellow bar each side of the connector.
one or some wires have no contact on the connector. gotta try to fix the pins and if not , trust me ill fix it forever ill cut the connectors and solder the wire. problem solved for life xD

Last edited by TheMadCanadian; 07-04-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:46 AM
TheMadCanadian
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE
removed that connector and soldered all wires. checked and its all wired correctly. but problem isnt fixed. someone i know let me check his 99 dakota 5.2 auto 2wd ( same as mine but 3.9 vs 5.2 ). and all wires are wired correctly.

but tonight the fuel pump died. ok not a problem it was noisy before...
but also i think my ECU is dead.
i have 3.8 volt ref voltage on pcm connector , and on all sensors on the engine.
also i have 9 to 13 volt on BOTH ccd bus wires ( pcm , cluster, checked all wire on BCM and none close to 2.5 , as i dont have the wiring for this one. all i have is 2000 dakota and 98 durango FSM. 99 dak in inexistant over the internet and even stealership dont have it anymore ).

if i disconnect the CTM nothing at all change ( just lose the annoying ding ding ding and dome light as it should ).

stealership on the phone told me im supposed to see more change if i disconnect it ???

oh and started 15 min ago , my scanner cant even connect to the pcm anymore. tested it on other cars and it work.

DEF a dead pcm , now.

but was it the fault before or it just died randomly thats the question. before it die i had my STABLE 5.14v reference.

EDIT : fuel pump work. noisy as hell but work. i jumped pin 30 and 87 in the relay box and it work. but the pcm dont want to power the relay. dont even have any current on any pin but 30 when ignition is ON.

Last edited by TheMadCanadian; 07-05-2017 at 07:23 AM.