2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Default ac/heater works when it wants to, but when it does come on all 100% of it is

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 04:11 AM
Keenjk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Default ac/heater works when it wants to, but when it does come on all 100% of it is

I have an 2000 Dodge Dakota extended cab V6 automatic and I'm having ac/heater problems. I'm not getting any air hot or cold blowing out, but when I get on the highway a very small amount will blow out. Days will go by and then out of nowhere the blower well start to work and blow perfectly fine on all speeds for both ac/heater for a day or so and then when I turn it off and back on again within the same day it may or may not work. And then the next day I start it up more than likely it doesn't work. And then next month it may or may not do the same thing again. Like one day every 2 or 3 months. Completely random. I've tried buying a new ac/heater control climate/blower/vent switch, but that didn't fix it. Please help.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:30 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It could be the motor itself. They don't last forever.

It may be a bad connection too. The switch controls the ground side of the circuit so you should always have 12v at the motor. Check the connection to the resistor too, corrosion there is common too.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Keenjk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much. I'm going to check those things out. Would you happen to have an exact location of the resistor block? I've seen some videos where you can remove the floor duct to access it while laying on your back on the passenger floor board. And then there are others that say you have to remove the glove box or the top part of the dashboard to access it. I'd rather know for sure as to it's location before I start disassembling. LOL

Last edited by Keenjk; 07-04-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:54 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

In '00 its in the cowl. There is a cover plate over it too.