2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Passenger Side CV Failing

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Robbadodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Side CV Failing

Hello again!

Passenger side CV has been humming for a while, and now it growls when I slow to a stop. I plan to order a re-manufactured one off ebay (I studied threads here) and wondered the pitfall of continuing to drive it until the shipment arrives.

One thought, "I've been driving with it going bad for months, what's another week going to do?"

Thanks again, in advance.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:45 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

are you sure it's the CV and not a hub bearing?

Old 07-24-2017, 08:24 PM
Robbadodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a 100%, but there is grease spun out all around in there. Maybe it's a combination... could be the hub has been going and now the jacket has sprung a cut.

Edit: The growl happens nearing the end of a stop. Braking at higher speeds has no issue, so I assumed the pads had worn and caused the bare pad to wear on the rotor, but that doesn't make sense; it would be growling through all braking. Would the hub only growl at the slower speed approaching a stop? The hum it's been doing only happens during straight and left turns, right turn had no noise so I assumed the lack of strain meant the hub was going out. Guess it could be both.

Last edited by Robbadodge; 07-24-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Jack up the front, turn the wheels slightly in either direction, and try and turn the front tire by hand. See if you can determine which part is actually bad. (if the cv boot is leaking, it's only a matter of time before it blows up, if the bearing is going bad, the entire front tire/wheel could abandon the rest of the truck..... Not a happy experience.