2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power boost

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 04:32 PM
Prairie Dog 51
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power boost

I have a 2002 Dakota SLT Quad Cab with the 4.7 Magnum. My wife and I just purchased a 27ft Gulfstream travel trailer. I would like to know of any thing or things I might do to boost my pulling power.
Ideally I would love to install a Gearvendors unit,but after purchasing the trailer that isn’t an option at this time.
What kind of increase would I expect from replacing the computer chip and any ideas as to about what the cost would be? Would installing dual exhaust make a significant enough improvement to be worth the effort/expense?
Also, has anyone had any experience with installing an auxiliary fuel tank? Any recommendations on good dealers/distributors? As expected, the trailer really shoots my fuel economy in the fanny! How is the aux tank usually tied in to the main tank? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

How much does your trailer weigh? You may need to simply upgrade to a slightly meaner tow vehicle......

You can get a tuner for your truck, that will give you a bit more power. (Hemifever Tuning, or, Flyin' Ryan Performance. They bot sell SCT tuners for our trucks.)

Shorty headers, and larger exhaust wouldn't hurt you.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:58 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

a 27ft trailer of any kind is almost too much for a dakota. Just our old 18 ft open trailer was pretty lofty for my truck to pull when empty- with the camaro on it, it noticeably lugged down dad's ram 1500 with the Hemi. I couldn't imagine a 28ft class trailer behind a dakota. We tried to put the 32 ft enclosed on the 1500 (without the dragster in it), and the truck just wouldn't take it, even with the air bags.

You can talk to Ryan about a tune for the 4.7, But he's probably going to say the same thing as me. You're going to wear that poor truck out trying to drag such a big trailer. At the very least, you'll need to add a serious transmission cooler and probably pursue a gear ratio change to 4.10's. There is not a GearVendors unit made for the 545RFE that I know of, but I could be wrong. For the price, you can keep that transmission and put a supercharger on the engine (Chris Orlando makes the kit).

But for the investments needed, you can buy a 1500 and 2500 and leave it bone stock and tow cross country without sweating.