2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

04 Dakota Rear open diff so Posi swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 03:22 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
its still going to be the same design, with the same weak points.

Toby, we really need to tone this down and get back to the OP question.

With all due respect, you need to do a little research on different carriers. Air lockers, detroit lockers, true tracs are all vastly different from factory carriers. IMO they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

To answer your question on how many swaps I have made, not many 3. A ford 9in in a camaro, converted my 93 corvette from a dana 36 to a dana 44, and I am about to complete a ford explorer 8.8 into my 87 dakota. All were done complete with working emergency brake cables, etc.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:26 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

Toby, we really need to tone this down and get back to the OP question.

With all due respect, you need to do a little research on different carriers. Air lockers, detroit lockers, true tracs are all vastly different from factory carriers. IMO they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

To answer your question on how many swaps I have made, not many 3. A ford 9in in a camaro, converted my 93 corvette from a dana 36 to a dana 44, and I am about to complete a ford explorer 8.8 into my 87 dakota. All were done complete with working emergency brake cables, etc.
what really needs to happen from all sides is not tell someone how to spend their money unless there's a significantly cheaper option. And I will admit, I misread an earlier quote. I was thinking of swapping the whole axle. But I see what was said now. My mistake there.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,191 Likes on 2,944 Posts

what really needs to happen from all sides is not tell someone how to spend their money unless there's a significantly cheaper option. And I will admit, I misread an earlier quote. I was thinking of swapping the whole axle. But I see what was said now. My mistake there.
So what IS the 'significantly cheaper' option? Installing a 2wd axle (with unknown ratio at this point) into a 4wd truck? Or installing a better-than-factory-design posi unit in his existing axle?

What we don't know is how much of the labor the OP can do himself. I am guessing, from what he has had to say so far, is he doesn't have the necessary equipment to change spring perches. (so, likely, no welder) Can he do a carrier swap? Does he have a friend that could help him do it? (that has done it before? Has the OP done it before??) There are too many unanswered questions to determine just what, exactly, is 'cheaper' here.

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't chase the OP away either.... Guess we'll see if he comes back.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:38 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
True, we don't know his capabilities. Thing is, which is going to be more cost effective? Will the axle be a direct swap? He doesn't seem to think so. I am not even sure the axles are the same ratio. (which could be a real issue, if his truck is a 4x4.) If the axle ISN'T a direct swap, then he is either going to be paying labor either way, or, will be in for a significant learning experience, no matter which route he chooses.

Actually he states in the orig. post his capabilities. He also states that he knows swapping the complete rear end from a 2wd to a 4wd is not worth the cost. He also states he has the tools to swap the complete ring and pinion,and carrier from one rear end to another. So we know if this is true, he has dial indicators and could easily set up the new carrier. I am basing all of this on his post and used copy and paste to ref. it. Below

I have done the research on trying an axle swap, but the effort and money that is required to swap the 2wd axle to my 4x4 truck is more then what i would be paying for the truck. so my question is, will the differential itself, be able to swap from the 12 bolt axle to my 10 bolt axle? i do have all the required tools for such a job, but short of buying the truck, tearing apart the rear end and swapping it over and it doesnt fit, then i would have bought the truck for just the prospect of being able to do an engine swap.

As I stated earlier, unless he plans for a big motor, or other heavy use, the 8.25 is a pretty decent rear end.

Last edited by 93 ragtop; 12-15-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:39 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what IS the 'significantly cheaper' option? Installing a 2wd axle (with unknown ratio at this point) into a 4wd truck? Or installing a better-than-factory-design posi unit in his existing axle?

What we don't know is how much of the labor the OP can do himself. I am guessing, from what he has had to say so far, is he doesn't have the necessary equipment to change spring perches. (so, likely, no welder) Can he do a carrier swap? Does he have a friend that could help him do it? (that has done it before? Has the OP done it before??) There are too many unanswered questions to determine just what, exactly, is 'cheaper' here.

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't chase the OP away either.... Guess we'll see if he comes back.
if he can't do any of it but physically swap the axle, the 2wd axle is going to be more cost effective. Cutting a couple mounts and rewelding them shouldn't be much at all. And with the gear ratio, odds are its a 3:55, like about 90% of all dakotas are.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

if he can't do any of it but physically swap the axle, the 2wd axle is going to be more cost effective. Cutting a couple mounts and rewelding them shouldn't be much at all. And with the gear ratio, odds are its a 3:55, like about 90% of all dakotas are.
Read the post above yours. He can install the carrier himself.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:32 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

No, what needs to happen is, when someone post something you dont agree with, you need to stop making it personal with your insults.
If you strike out at me, I strike back.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

No, what needs to happen is, when someone post something you dont agree with, you need to stop making it personal with your insults.
If you strike out at me, I strike back.
Don't do that. Just report the post. Let staff deal with it.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:46 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Don't do that. Just report the post. Let staff deal with it.

That I will. The Irony of it is I have defended him against a few others, thinking he was young, and just didnt have any manners. But I would appreciate it, if he would not respond to any of my post, and I will do likewise. Again, thank you, and if it continues, I will just report it.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That I will. The Irony of it is I have defended him against a few others, thinking he was young, and just didnt have any manners. But I would appreciate it, if he would not respond to any of my post, and I will do likewise. Again, thank you, and if it continues, I will just report it.
Could always just add him to your ignore list. Then, you don't see ANY of his posts.

Quick Reply: 04 Dakota Rear open diff so Posi swap