2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 front brake hose replacement problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 09:39 PM
rigid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 front brake hose replacement problem

Rf brake hose needed replaced . The line was rusty and twisted off at the top when tried to loosen it . Repaired line and hose . The truck sat a couple nights unhooked so we bled calipers RR, LR , RF , LF until fluid was solid . Did not appear to have air in rear lines . Pedal is good not running . Engine running and pedal is soft and not right with ABS / brake lights on. we repeated the process a couple times and same results . Until the hose blew we had no problems prior . If the brake pedal id pushed down it does stop front wheels when I turn they by hand . I can get a mighty vac pump to use . Will it help if I try to pull fluid through through the bleeder with the pump ?

Thank you

Old 01-30-2018, 09:55 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

When I replaced my soft lines with braided SS, I used the gravity bleed method first to fill the lines solid with the bleeder hose to the (full) fluid bottle, and once quite a bit had flowed through (refilling the master of course), I started pumping the brakes to make sure there was no air in the system.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Likely the proportioning valve needs reset....... have someone pump up the brakes, and hold pressure, while you crack open a rear bleeder. Do that a couple times, and see if the lite goes out. If not, do the same with a front bleeder. One or the other should solve the issue.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:23 PM
rigid

Thanks guys . Did the above , but sounds like we just have to keep after it and better buy another bottle !!

Old 03-07-2018, 08:03 PM
rigid

back on this project and still fighting it . We have done all 4 wheels several times and get all fluid with no air . pedal pumps up nice and when the truck is started back the same problem . I have read something about trying to re-set the valve by tapping on it and also bleeding at the valve ? I can see and feel the rear brakes actuating the hubs as they are applied . I can also feel the fronts stop the wheels if i turn them by hand . Still must be air somewhere . I've tried to attach a photo and I am hoping you can tell me if the valve is the upper one above the fender well . anything else I can try ?

Thank you for your help

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180307_180659.jpg (2.24 MB, 9 views)

Quick Reply: 2001 front brake hose replacement problem