2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

How Screwed Am I?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 07:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,236 Likes on 2,985 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
The video you posted shows the AC and alternator on top, which is 5.2/5.9 orientation. 4.7 has them off the sides rather than on top. Also, 5.2/5.9 are conventional intake (2 barrel), 4.7 is a single throttle body facing due forward (hence why no accessories on top).

I'm not actually sure what the (5)45RFE looks like without crawling under the ram, I know they take similar cable inputs, but I'm not actually sure what the linkages look like. The 46RE will look very similar to the one I pulled from my dakota.

Also, I thought the block was marked in metric, it's actually cubic inches. Notice mine says 360, other option would be 318.

Was the hornets nest optional that year?

Old 02-05-2018, 07:18 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 155 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Was the hornets nest optional that year?
You don't even want to know. There was another one under the distributor. I knew i would find them as every time i worked on it last summer they were buzzing me.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,236 Likes on 2,985 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
You don't even want to know. There was another one under the distributor. I knew i would find them as every time i worked on it last summer they were buzzing me.
Oh, I hear ya on that one. Its a friggin' yearly battle with the yellow jacket fellers. (and the carpenter bees.....) They like to make nests EVERYWHERE! I go around every couple days with cans of chemicals (I should be stock in DOW) and wipe out another row of 'em..... But, every couple days, there are more nests......Since I live in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest house is about a quarter mile away..... I am REAL curious where them fellers keep comin' from......

Old 02-05-2018, 11:41 PM
magnethead
Legend

Luckily dirt dobbers don't really bother you. The mutual avoidance thing.

Here is what the (5)45RFE looks like in 4WD form. the electrical connection looks to be a similar spot, but the bellhousing and cable connections are different. 45RFE has a horizonal shift shaft mid-case, the 46RE has a vertical shift shaft at the front of the case.

I also think the 45RFE has passenger side cooler lines while 46RE is driver side. So that might be the better tell-tale.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:21 AM
Skreelink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually going to say it's a 4.7L Powertech. Unless they managed to cobble them together, in his videos notice the alternator. In the 3.9/5.2/5.9, the alternator is on the passenger side, ac on driver. In his video, it's opposite with the alternator on the driver's side. A quick image search of both matches this as well. New exhaust, tune up, some crank case cleaner, and resetting the pcm are your first steps. Also look for any modifications of the pcm harness or other sensors.

Edit: Looked up some transmission images as well, found a good bottom view. The look matches a 45RFE, along with the numbers on the bottom 4799660, so it's an rfe series. Might be a 45rfe, 545rfe, or 68rfe from the looks of it. Most of your codes point at the exhaust, make sure your O2 sensors are new and correct, and I suggest replacing the speed sensors. I know on a 42re there's one on the driver side of the transmission and then one ontop of the rear differential. These are pretty cheap and would cause the speed sensor code. Otherwise the solenoid packs inside would be the next step. You might not have a lemon, but you have a bit of a project. Fixing the exhaust and O2 should make it run cleaner and have more power and not choke you out. Then go from there.

Glancing at the image magnethead posted, it looks like the 45rfe has an input and output sensor on the transmission. Should be the little elongated black pieces at either end in the middle. Wiring harness, one bolt, pull. Be gentle and don't break them

Last edited by Skreelink; 02-06-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:14 PM
aswang

Originally Posted by Skreelink
I'm actually going to say it's a 4.7L Powertech. Unless they managed to cobble them together, in his videos notice the alternator. In the 3.9/5.2/5.9, the alternator is on the passenger side, ac on driver. In his video, it's opposite with the alternator on the driver's side. A quick image search of both matches this as well. New exhaust, tune up, some crank case cleaner, and resetting the pcm are your first steps. Also look for any modifications of the pcm harness or other sensors.

Edit: Looked up some transmission images as well, found a good bottom view. The look matches a 45RFE, along with the numbers on the bottom 4799660, so it's an rfe series. Might be a 45rfe, 545rfe, or 68rfe from the looks of it. Most of your codes point at the exhaust, make sure your O2 sensors are new and correct, and I suggest replacing the speed sensors. I know on a 42re there's one on the driver side of the transmission and then one ontop of the rear differential. These are pretty cheap and would cause the speed sensor code. Otherwise the solenoid packs inside would be the next step. You might not have a lemon, but you have a bit of a project. Fixing the exhaust and O2 should make it run cleaner and have more power and not choke you out. Then go from there.

Glancing at the image magnethead posted, it looks like the 45rfe has an input and output sensor on the transmission. Should be the little elongated black pieces at either end in the middle. Wiring harness, one bolt, pull. Be gentle and don't break them
Thank you guys! So I called the seller a few times yesterday, and finally got him today. I had forgotten he gave me the manual from the old truck he pulled the engine and transmission from, which includes the parts breakdown for it, and the VIN. He was wrong when he said it was a 2001, it's actually a 2002 and the parts breakout says it's a Next Generation 4.78L Magnum V8, and transmission is a 45RFE. Assuming he's being honest, and the VINs match (he's going to send me the VIN from the truck when he gets home), AND the 2002 owner never swapped them out, it looks like I do, indeed. have a 4.7 and 45RFE.

Seller also said he didn't swap out the transfer case - is that significant at all?

I'm going to put in my order for the exhaust system and the 2x O2 sensors - Skreelink, you suggest I get speed sensors as well? The exhaust parts are the same between 2000 and 2002 according to RockAuto

Old 02-06-2018, 02:20 PM
magnethead
Legend

Ok so you're not bad off then. Only red flag I see is the tone ring deal putting 2002 in an 00, but it wouldn't run at all if those were mismatched (maybe early 2002 engine). But you're alot further along than you could be.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:27 PM
aswang

I'm going to get it on a lift to install the exhaust, is there anything else you would recommend I do while I have it up? E.G., transmission fluid change?

Old 02-06-2018, 02:37 PM
Skreelink
Veteran

I suggest the speed sensors since you do have a code for it, they're not hard, and not expensive, so why not. Transmission fluid change can't hurt if you don'thave a service history then always assume fluids are at service date. Check levels or change the oil in the diffs and transfer case as well, freshen it all up to show it some love. While it's in the air, check fuel lines, evap lines, brakes, etc while you're there. Double check all wire harnesses to all sensors, make sure they aren't damaged or not plugged in fully (ask me how I know to check connections....) Hope it all works out.

EDIT: MOST IMPORTANTLY.... Do not forget the blinker fluid.

Last edited by Skreelink; 02-06-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:04 PM
aswang

Originally Posted by Skreelink
EDIT: MOST IMPORTANTLY.... Do not forget the blinker fluid.
What weight should I get? Should I pony up for synthetic???

So - I'm about to order parts and now I'm confused again. According to RockAuto, the 2002 has different O2 sensors than the 2000 - left and right upstream and downstream. Which year should I buy O2 sensors for? The catalytic converter piece is the same between years (Walker 56090) and has two pipes into 1, where there is an upstream -> cat -> downstream. I did struggle to find the downstream connector when I was under the truck, but I found what looked like an O2 plug on the other side of the chassis. Would the wiring for the O2 sensor have been moved from the 2002 as well? And in that case, where would the left and right O2 sensors be? I can't find many references in the 00AN.pdf document (parts list).

Quick Reply: How Screwed Am I?