2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

01 Dakota Sport 4.7L new crank sensor, cranks, no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:28 AM
foofopps
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I replaced those last night it ran for 2-3 min and died. Picked up 2 junk yard PCMs today to test. Will prob buy a good reman unit off eBay coded to my VIN and mileage

Old 07-04-2018, 10:38 AM
Lifteddakotasport01
Amateur

Alright. Hopefully that works. Have you checked your fuel pressure when it stops?

Old 07-04-2018, 11:25 AM
foofopps

I did not check fuel pressure but here's what I did today. I found two Durangos at the yard with 4.7 one was a 2003 the other a 2001, my truck is a 2002. I installed both PCMs and get the engine to fire immediately and then die several times, seemed like it was a kill/security alarm issue that was killing it every time the exact same way. Then I put my PCM back in and it cranked and cranked no fire several times, then cranked and fired. I think its safe to say my PCM is bad and will be buying a proper replacement.

However, I now have a blinking and chiming ABS light, which I would account for swapping different PCMs. Weird that my OTC 3111 pro scanner shows no ABS codes. I'm thinking that unhooking the battery for some time should clear these?

Now to order a reman PCM and wait several days.

Thanks for all the help Lifteddakotasport01

Old 07-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Lifteddakotasport01
Amateur

If you had a broken ground wire for an extended period of time, I believe your PCM is bad too. When you swapped it out with the other two PCMs, did you make sure the part numbers matched? That could have caused the truck to die right after starting. I had ABS codes also when I changed PCMs. All I had to do was clear them and they went away. Strange that your reader doesn't pick up any.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by foofopps
I wouldn’t say I’m hijacking anyone’s thread, no one had posted since February. I did contact the OP and he has been extremely helpful, that’s what the forums are all about. You on the other hand have been a completely useless Super Moderator, keep up the good work!

So you think adding to another thread, with a similar problem, helps anyone? Do you think being snarky is going to endear you to the super moderator?

You are not the original poster in this thread. I don't really care if you have the exact same vehicle, with the exact same problem. The REASON we have the ability to have different threads, is so that we don't have one single thread clutter with several vehicles, which are NOT likely to be the exact same cause.

I take my job here seriously, even though I am just a volunteer. I suggest that you take ME seriously as well, or you will find yourself looking for another forum to post on.

Quick Reply: 01 Dakota Sport 4.7L new crank sensor, cranks, no start