2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

01 Dakota Sport 4.7L new crank sensor, cranks, no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 09:06 PM
Lifteddakotasport01
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 01 Dakota Sport 4.7L new crank sensor, cranks, no start

Hey everyone, so I just bought this truck the other day. The former owner told me it needed a crank position sensor. Battery was dead at the time, so I took the battery out of my other Dodge. The truck started up just fine, idled well, took it for a test drive around the block, no issues. So I buy it, take the battery out to put back into my daily driver. Next day I come back to take it home, put the battery in again and decide to drive it home. I was able to go about 30-40 minutes without any problems, second half of the time was spent on the highway going about 70mph. All of a sudden, the truck cuts off all gas, and starts to downshift on it's own until it hit second gear, then the engine died. Tried to start it again, it cranked but wouldn't start. Disconnected and reconnected the battery, it started up again, but died less than a minute later and wouldn't not start again no matter if I unhooked the battery or not.

Fast forward to the next day after towing the truck home without a battery. Put a battery in it this morning, started just fine and drove into the garage. Replaced the crankshaft positioning sensor, and now it will crank but won't start again. Sensor is in properly, wires are not frayed or damaged at all that I can see.

I now currently have the unhooked. hoping it will start in a day or two when I have time to look at it again. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Old 02-13-2018, 09:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

What brand crank sensor? You really want one from Dodge..... These trucks just don't like aftermarket sensors.

Welcome to DF! Moving this to second gen dakota section for ya.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:07 PM
Lifteddakotasport01
Amateur

I believe its a BWD sensor. Got it from advance Auto parts

Old 02-13-2018, 10:42 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

that is a really goofy sequence of events. I don't recall our trucks having much of a "limp mode", surely not that aggressive.

Do you know how to check for spark by removing and grounding a spark plug? That will tell us if the coils are being activated.

you can check for fuel pressure at the rail to see if the fuel pump is going out or at least holding a prime.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:42 PM
Lifteddakotasport01
Amateur

Brand New battery, could, plugs, and Crank sensor straight from Dodge. Currently no spark and zero fuel pressure. Found out today that the ground connection between the PCM-engine-body was totally worn away. Replaced that, tested voltage, every part is now grounded. Maybe the lack of ground fried something which isn't allowing spark or fuel pressure now?
​​​​​​

Old 02-19-2018, 09:42 PM
Lifteddakotasport01
Amateur

Update : Replaced aftermarket crank sensor with stock sensor straight from Dodge. Still not starting. No pressure from fuel rail. Replaced spark plugs and ignition coils for good measure.

I also replaced the air filter and put a brand new battery in(I know it's unrelated, but still..). Took the entire air intake off and tried to start it with starter fluid. Nothing happened, so I assume no spark, also.

Update #2: Found out that the ground cables between the PCM, engine block, and body we're all totally disintegrated. I have no idea how long it has been like that. Maybe that fried the PCM? I replaced them all, and still nothing has changed. No fuel pressure, no spark.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:44 PM
foofopps

I have a similar problem and am looking for the right fix. I also replaced my crank sensor with no change. Sometimes it starts right up sometimes it just cranks, sometimes dies while coming to a stop.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by foofopps
I have a similar problem and am looking for the right fix. I also replaced my crank sensor with no change. Sometimes it starts right up sometimes it just cranks, sometimes dies while coming to a stop.
Start a new thread, don't hijack someone elses.

Welcome to DF!

Old 07-04-2018, 09:40 AM
foofopps

I wouldn’t say I’m hijacking anyone’s thread, no one had posted since February. I did contact the OP and he has been extremely helpful, that’s what the forums are all about. You on the other hand have been a completely useless Super Moderator, keep up the good work!

Old 07-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Lifteddakotasport01
Amateur

Have you checked your ground wires @foofopps?

Quick Reply: 01 Dakota Sport 4.7L new crank sensor, cranks, no start