2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2003 Dodge Dakota problems *please help*

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:31 PM
boredaholic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Dakota problems *please help*

4.7 L v8
179k miles

So little back story, bought the truck (salvage title) with a broken head. Replaced the head and rebuilt both, new gaskets, new plugs, cleaned injectors and everything else. Put it all back together and i have misfire codes.

P0300
P0301
P0303
P0305

Now after reading and watching videos and everything I've gotten a cam sensor to replace on that side to see if that's what the problem is. I realize it's not throwing a code for the sensor itself, but from what i've read, it could still be the issue.
I've googled and googled to find the sensor location on that side (my dad put it back together so i dont remember where it's at) and i can't find where exactly the sensor is located.
Before i replace the sensor i figured i'd hop on here, register, and ask a couple questions.

The side with the broken head is the opposite side of the misfires so i'm at a loss of what could be causing this. I've checked hoses, checked fuel pressure, it has new plugs so i would "assume" those should be fine.

Thoughts? Put the new sensor in anyways? Couldn't hurt, engine has 179k miles on it. Just trying to fix it without spending an arm and a leg on a salvage title. It'll be a truck i keep for the next 20 years, but with fixing it i was hoping to do it with minimal cost.

It also sputters and loses all power when it hits 4000 rpm and doesn't like to shift unless babied.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:39 PM
boredaholic

After looking at the sticky thread of the engine tear down i found where the sensor goes... i'll be replacing that, i feel like an idiot. Simple spot, oh man... I'll update after i replace the sensor as far as the misfires, but if you guys have any thoughts before i do so. Please dont hesitate to let me know.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:48 PM
boredaholic

ok i feel like an idiot yet again... cant find it. is there not one on the driver side head?

Old 02-23-2018, 04:31 PM
boredaholic

update:

i can unplug injectors for the misfiring cylinders and it doesn't change anything as far as the engine running. unplug a different one and there's a distinct engine stutter.
In the process of swapping injectors to see if it's the injector. Got the known good injector seated good on cylinder 1, the other one didn't seat right and then it got cold as hell out and windy (working outside) so i packed it up and came back inside. Am i on the right track here?

Old 02-23-2018, 06:22 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by boredaholic
update:

i can unplug injectors for the misfiring cylinders and it doesn't change anything as far as the engine running. unplug a different one and there's a distinct engine stutter. Am i on the right track here?
Yes. If you can unplug an injector and nothing changes, it was dead before you unplugged it.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:26 PM
boredaholic

Originally Posted by magnethead
Yes. If you can unplug an injector and nothing changes, it was dead before you unplugged it.
is it normal for 3 on the same side to die at the same time? The odds of putting 3 bad ones on the same side after rebuilding the top end is rare...

Old 02-23-2018, 08:11 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

There's only one camshaft position sensor, on the right top side of the cylinder head. It's easier to get at from underneath. Saying that, I don't think you have a CMP problem.

I'd be curious as to the cam timing. Installing the timing chains can be tricky on the 4.7.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:14 PM
boredaholic

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
There's only one camshaft position sensor, on the right top side of the cylinder head. It's easier to get at from underneath. Saying that, I don't think you have a CMP problem.

I'd be curious as to the cam timing. Installing the timing chains can be tricky on the 4.7.
On our computer it says cams and crank are all in sync

Old 02-23-2018, 09:48 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

I have to wonder if there is a bad ground on that injector bank if the timing sensors are in agreement.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:56 PM
boredaholic

Originally Posted by magnethead
I have to wonder if there is a bad ground on that injector bank if the timing sensors are in agreement.
they all look good and are tight, found some hoses that need replaced and when it's running it sounds like there's air either sucking in or hissing out on the driver side near the front of the engine bay. Could a split hose cause almost an entire side to misfire?

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Dakota problems *please help*