2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

speedometer dead, trans not shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 04:23 PM
rolltide3006
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default speedometer dead, trans not shifting

Hello, first post here. I have a 97' Dakota 3.9 4x4 and am having some problems. I recently rebuilt my engine and installed a re-manufactured transmission. Shortly after the install, I jacked the rear of the truck up and went through all the gears. Everything was working great. Transmission was shifting through all gears and speedometer was working. I haven't worked on the truck in about a month. A couple days ago I took it on its first neighborhood test drive and noticed it was not shifting out of first gear. I also noticed the spedo wasn't working. It is not throwing a check engine light which is weird. Today I replaced the trans output speed sensor and the abs speed sensor in the rear diff. It is a rear wheel abs system. I also checked the 10amp absrwal fuse and the 40amp under the hood. Both were ok. Does anyone know what could be my culprit? What sensor would be preventing the trans from shifting and would also take out the spedometer?

Last edited by rolltide3006; 06-25-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Is there a VSS on the tailhousing of the t-case? If so, that's where the speedo get's it's clue.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:10 PM
rolltide3006
Amateur

Ok, this mystery is continuing to grow. While I was back under the hood I noticed that the 40amp ABS Pump fuse was missing. When we were starting up the engine for the first time we were getting a no start and the 30amp shutdown fuse was blown which I replaced, but I don't remember just randomly taking out the 40amp abs one. Without this fuse, would that prevent the transmission from shifting gears? Also, i took out a couple other 40amp fuses just now to look at the two posts sticking up. They all have two posts sticking up except the abs pump one, it just has one??

HeyYou, yes the vss is on the rear of the transfercase. I feel like I have a bigger, maybe two different problems going on. After spending $45 today on sensors that didn't fix the problem, I don't want to keep throwing parts at it. Would a bad vss prevent the trans from shifting?

Old 06-25-2018, 05:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If the PCM doesn't think the truck is moving, it won't shift into a higher gear. Of course, it *should* get a clue from the output speed sensor on the trans, and at least set a code......

If you only have RWAL, there won't be a fuse in the ABS socket. (because the pump that wants that 40 amps isn't there.)

Old 06-25-2018, 05:55 PM
rolltide3006
Amateur

Ok now were getting somewhere. I unplugged the transmission output speed sensor and started the truck. No check engine light and not fixing my probs. Plugged it back in. I then unplugged the rear abs speed sensor and started the truck. The abs light and brake light on the cluster illuminated. Turned it off, plugged the abs sensor back in and started the truck. Speedometer started working!.So I guess the connection was sloppy or the system was just having a brain fart. But, the truck still isn't changing gears. I have the rear of the truck jacked up and tires turning freely. I went up to like "35"mph in D and still no gear change. It takes 3000rpm to get it up to "35"mph. So am I stuck in second gear? I'm glad to have the speedo back but want to be able to change gears. I've noticed my gear selection linkage is a little off. R is like in between P and R. D is in between N and D. My grandfather's gen III was the same way and his trans shifted fine. I can make it to all the different selections though. Manual 1 and 2 seem to be the same gear as far as rpms and speed go. This is supposed to be a completely re manufactured trans I got online. How can I figure out this shifting problem?

Last edited by rolltide3006; 06-25-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If the speedometer is working properly again, scan for codes. If no codes, talk to the folks you got your trans from......

Old 06-25-2018, 10:59 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Sounds like a bad transmission to me as well. M1 and M2 are completely different hydraulic and mechanical engagements. M1 and Auto1 are also different engagements (M2 and auto2 are the same engagements, roughly)

Old 06-26-2018, 05:04 PM
rolltide3006
Amateur

I'm thinking gov pressure solenoid or transducer which I've heard can be bad out of the box. Looks like she's going to a transmission shop to find out. So frustrating

Quick Reply: speedometer dead, trans not shifting