2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

BIG PROBLEMS (possible motor swap?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 11:24 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Hey I know this game! On the 3.9 V6, a weak crankshaft position sensor will fail on cylinders 3 and 5 because it will trigger late. The reason it does not fail on cylinder 1 is because the PCM 'sets' itself based on the fuel sync.

Coil fault is likely a failing coil, the primary winding is probably breaking down.

Long explanation: The 3.9 V6 flex plate / crank sensor ring is three sets of 5 degree windows spaced 1 degree apart. This is unlike the V8 flexplates, which are four 5 degree windows spaced 90 degrees apart. This difference in the V6 results in a slow crank sensor seeing one ten degree window instead of two 5 degree windows. A genuine mopar sensor from the dealer is the most reliable way to cure this issue - i've tried the parts store sensors and it would remain.

Last edited by magnethead; 08-12-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:52 PM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just FYI....a bad crank sensor will give you misfire codes randomly. Also, suspect the O2 sensor upstream as a possibility....easy to change as with all sensors on this engine except the crank which is a real pain. I didn't realize that allen heads were on the crank sensor bolts which you can't see till u get the bolts out. I used a short wrench and it fought me all the way out. I got a bad crank sensor as well which really drove me crazy. I used an actron scanner and ran live diags to find out my timing was jumping leading me to once again change the crank as well as the cam sensor. Very discouraging when u get bad parts!

Old 08-12-2018, 02:09 PM
peshman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OOOOKay. I saw the response from Magnethead, and I started thinking that maybe the problem was similar to mine that I have been putting off until fall when it will be cooler outside since I don't really need it right now. My 2002 Dakota 4.7L has been misfiring and throwing a combination of codes that seemed like it might be similar. I went out to check it and found that the battery was dead since it hadn't been used for about 4 months. When I opened the hood I noticed something that I hadn't seen before. The leads to the #1 fuel injector had been chewed through right where they come out of the main wiring harness bundle. After I got it running again and checked for codes, it is only throwing one code.
P0201 Injector #1 circuit malfunction.
I don't know if I will be able to splice it back together. If I can, I will have to open up the main bundle and splice in a short piece of wire. It may be easier to replace the entire engine wiring harness if it isn't too expensive and if they are still available new.
The main point here is to check the wiring if there are electrical sensor and/or control problems. Mine is easy to see now, but I didn't see it before and I didn't even think about it being a wiring problem. Maybe it was chewed through before, but not enough to be as visible.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:34 PM
RamKota97

Alright guys. After reading the codes on the reader I decided I would put down all the information it gives me out to y'all again so maybe I can figure this out it goes as follows.
P0351
P0300
P0303
P0305

DTCFRZF P0305
FUEL SYS 1 OL
FUEL SYS 2 N/A
LOAD_PCT(%) 59.2
ETC (F) 99
SHRTFT1 (%) 0.0
LONGFT1 (%) 0.8
MAP (inHG) 3.0
RPM (/MIN) 3392
USS (MPH) 0

MIL OK
MISSFIRE OK
FUEL SYS MON. OK
COMP. COMPONENT OK
CATALYSTS INC
HTD CATALYSTS N/A
EVAP N/A
SEC. AIR SYS. N/A
A/C MON. N/A
OXY. SENS. MON. INC
OXY. SENS. HTR OK
EGR N/A

ALSO I found two things this morning when I went out to look into my truck.
1. My distributor cap worked it's way lose on one side, so I tightened it up.
2. The middle connection to my PCM had a slight gap, so I took it off and blew it out before reconnecting it.

After doing both these the truck quit misfiring and the codes disappeared from my reader... So I'm not sure if I solved my problem but I do plan on buying a new distributor cap and also the crank and cam shaft sensor.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:07 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by RamKota97

ALSO I found two things this morning when I went out to look into my truck.
1. My distributor cap worked it's way lose on one side, so I tightened it up.
2. The middle connection to my PCM had a slight gap, so I took it off and blew it out before reconnecting it.

After doing both these the truck quit misfiring and the codes disappeared from my reader... So I'm not sure if I solved my problem but I do plan on buying a new distributor cap and also the crank and cam shaft sensor.
PCM C2 contains:

trans temp probe
fuel injectors 7, 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 2, 4
coils 7, 2
torque converter lockup solenoid
radiator fan control
oil pressure sensor
vehicle speed sensor
trans governor solenoid
transmission relay control

Old 08-12-2018, 05:49 PM
RamKota97

Could any of that caused my problems?

Old 08-12-2018, 05:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Most certainly.

Quick Reply: BIG PROBLEMS (possible motor swap?)