2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Getting closer, one fix at a time (98)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 11:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I'm not really a fan of champions.... But, I doubt that's your issue.

Tried running any variety of combustion chamber cleaner thru it? (seafoam, or the mopar stuff?)

Old 08-30-2018, 12:06 PM
restlessswind
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think it's carbon in the ports and valve stems? I tried to find the seafoam spray cleaner, but I don't think it's available in CA. I did put a bottle of techron in when I first got it....did nothing, but that was fuel system cleaner. Do you think seafoam in the tank would clean the deposits?

Old 08-30-2018, 12:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I usually feed it to the engine via the brake booster vacuum line. Just don't feed too much at a time, as it can stall the engine. I didn't use the spray stuff, just comes in a bottle.

Hot spots in the cylinders may be causing a problem, also, build up on the valves may be preventing them from sealing properly. Sure can't hurt to clean it out some.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:36 AM
restlessswind
Amateur

The TPS was installed with the o-ring. Was causing binding. Timing and TPS are more stable now. No more rich idling! Now to clean up the carbon

Old 09-11-2018, 01:27 PM
restlessswind
Amateur

after 1000 mile road trip and a bottle of Seafoam, the truck is running near perfectly....still a slightly shaky idle in gear. I read that these engines are slightly off balance, so maybe it's nothing?
Another issue I came across.... I was camping on the coast of Humboldt, and a very wet fog bank came in. The next day, the instrument cluster went whack.I lost the speedo, then the tach, then the gauges, airbag light coming on and off. Turn off the truck. Turn on, and any combination of these things were intermittently working or not. The very next morning, it was dry, and there were no issues at all for the 300 mile drive home. My guess is it's the PCM. I will add washers to the 2 screws and see if that was the issue all along. Anyone else's opinion?

Quick Reply: Getting closer, one fix at a time (98)