2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Key fob died a horrible death

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 10:23 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Key fob died a horrible death

So today I'm getting off the elevator at work and Murphy's law went into full effect. My keys slipped out of my hand as the doors opened, fell into the floor gap and down the shaft. I listened in horror as they clinked and clanged, till I heard nothing more. I was six floors up. My bldg ended up calling the elevator company to pull it out of the shaft. A few bent keys and destroyed flash drives, but the Dakota fob's suffered the worst. It was split open and and internals gone, when they handed it back to me. Ended up programming one that I had found in a junkyard, years ago, using instructions found on here. Of course I had spare, for that to work. Just wanted to say thanks, guys. This forum is the bomb.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:29 PM
XSubaruJeepDude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had never never given thought to what might have fallen through those door cracks before

Old 08-30-2018, 02:14 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm always careful to go over the elevator openings....esp since a phone can easily fit that crack, much less keys. Had a friend lose his phone down one t a ballpark, luckily it was on the ground floor so a short fall.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:52 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Hey, guys. Know of any good sources for OEM key fobs? I'm thinking I'd like to have more than two fobs and I understand up to four can be programmed. Loads of aftermarket fobs out there but I don't trust that the cases will be as tough as OEM. The true OEM prices were also ridiculous.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

There are third-party sellers that actually have the mopar keys. Tough to find, but, they are out there.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:42 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

If you find out, I need to program a new fob for mine - my existing fob works but the keyring part is broken off.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:42 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by magnethead
If you find out, I need to program a new fob for mine - my existing fob works but the keyring part is broken off.
That's what's happened to one of mine....the spare that I programmed after the elevator destroyed the other key. The fob fell off the ring in my pocket and I saw that the ring loop was cracked. Now, there are loads people selling the shell for cheap. Comes with the rubber buttons too.... five-six bucks, so you can move the guts over. I just can't vouch for the plastic. I actually want the electronics too.

Quick Reply: Key fob died a horrible death