2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

97 dakota sport 3.9l Kind of sounds like a diesel after water pump replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 05:14 AM
A2bitGUI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 dakota sport 3.9l Kind of sounds like a diesel after water pump replacement.

Hi all .I recently ,replaced a steering pump hose & my water pump (was trashed ,loud& loose bearing)on my 97 Dakota sport 3.9l v6 magnum rwd after sitting for a year and developing some squeaks /squeals.. New water pump went on without a hitch and no leaks however.I soon noticed a slight tractor diesel sound that some dodge trucks have..My question is this a normal sound and im just noticing after fixing loud water pump etc?Or is it a sign of a failing rod /lifter/or bad timing chain?any insight would be appreciated,keeping in mind Im not a mechanic but I am mechanically inclined. Just a guy trying to save some cash and his beloved dakota thanks p.s. Just to add I also did an oil and filter change yesterday as somehow it had like an extra quart of oil in it. and I heard it could get extra air in it rendering it ineffective. Engine fires right up.(was intermittently stalling at lights , discovered fuel leak and a bad ground wire on battery and repaired. Now no longer stalling) Engine is not over heating and sound doesn't get worse or louder.Maybe it could be a manifold leak ?Just wondering with these thing repaired if tit just sounds like its supposed to sound thanks again.

Last edited by A2bitGUI; 10-08-2018 at 05:33 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I was thinkin' possible exhaust leak.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:10 PM
A2bitGUI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for reply I was revving the engine pretty good during this time as well ,so may have inadvertently put a hole in it plus it hasnt been driven in a year so some things have deteriorated like one of my tires that has checking and cracking.Also blew a brake line when first started to drive it again.

Quick Reply: 97 dakota sport 3.9l Kind of sounds like a diesel after water pump replacement.