2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

daytime and high beam lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 02:18 AM
John_N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default daytime and high beam lights not working

had this problem arise a couple of months ago. Daytime lights would flicker, but mostly off, and only one high beam would work--just the low beams functioned properly. My mechanic did a band aid fix by wiring the two high beam circuits together, after which the driving lights, and high beams seemed to work fine, but we rarely used the highs. this last week, both the daytime lights and the highs are off completely, leaving just the lows.
What I've read online seems to point to various sources, but one common thread seems to indicate some major control "block" that may be out. My mechanic had previously said it would probably take awhile to locate the problem, but if it was this particular unit I've read about, it could be pricey.
Anyone experience similar problem?

Thanks

Old 11-07-2018, 09:01 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What year is your truck?

Old 11-07-2018, 09:23 AM
John_N

2001 quad cab, 4WD, 4.7 liter

Old 11-07-2018, 05:37 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Your mechanic likely fried the CTM by tying the two headlights together. They are controlled electronically and there is a driver circuit in the CTM that is controlled by the headlight switch. Each headlight has it's own driver. Tied together is it unlikely that it could drive two bulbs.

It was probably bad to begin with, only one bulb working.

A bad CTM is a common cause of headlight issues '01 and up.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:25 AM
John_N

Dealer spent 1 hour testing wiring, coming to conclusion that CTM is not putting out enough voltage to fire up the high beams, ergo, the module is toast. Problem isolated, but not solved. Apparently, Dodge stopped manufacturing these CTMs about 1 1/2 years ago, so now it is a treasure hunt online, trying to find a second-hand one.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:20 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Glad they've isolate the problem. The CTM is the most likely cause for your symptoms. Might find someone online that can rebuild the CTM.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:51 PM
John_N

Have not heard back from Dodge dealer yet about any "good news", but will give them till year-end. Failing that, has anyone had any experience bypassing the CTM? I hear that just wires directly from the lights to the dashboard switch will work, with a fuse and probably a relay in-between.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:53 PM
John_N
Default Central Timer Module and malfunctioning head lights: 2001 Dakota SLT

In my previous message I detailed the local Dodge dealer's findings, basically confirming that the problem originates with a bad CTM; however, they also informed me that Dodge no longer makes these units and that they would look online (EBay) for a used one.
I have given up waiting for them and did a bit of snooping myself. In the Ebay link I am including, there is one for sale in Canada that seems to be very similar to mine except that the last letter in the DaimlerChrysler # and the Motorola # is an "L" while mine ends with a "J" (see attached photo of my CTM).

Are these compatible, or do the difference in letters suggest different features?
Also, I heard from someone that these CTMs need to be "programmed" for the vehicle, like a new set of keys, or is that also false information?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Dodge-...48ni:rk:1:pf:0

Sincerely,

John_N

Old 01-20-2019, 03:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

The last letter being different merely implies it's a later revision than what you have. I don't know if it needs to be programmed to the vehicle, I don't *think* so, but, not 100% sure.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:52 PM
John_N
Default Dakota CTM problems

Thanks HeyYou.

below is a link that states that most CTM s MUST be reprogrammed, along with the keys (about the 4th paragraph). Pain in the "seating department" either way.

Cheers

http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com...le-gem-module/

Quick Reply: daytime and high beam lights not working