2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power steering pressure switch questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:02 AM
Superdrag73
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pressure switch questions

One of the codes on the 2001 Dakota 4.7 I just bought is a P0051, power steering pressure switch performance. I look for the sensor and it’s missing, replaced by a bolt, and the connector is hanging in space. Obviously the answer is buy a sensor and replace it, my concerns are that because the previous owner just jammed a bolt in there, are the threads destroyed? In which case a new sensor won’t just thread right in and seal. (It is leaking currently, but my experience with bad threads makes me afraid to disturb it more) Anyway, on to my question. The code says “switch”, not “ sensor”, so that tells me all it is is a “you are out of fluid” light, not a sensor that changes pressure or anything like that. If it is just a switch, can I just jumped the dumb thing out instead of buying a sensor? Lots of cars don’t have that sensor and work fine.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:16 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It's not a "your out of fluid light." It's a pressure switch. It tells the PCM to bump up the engine RPM's a bit when the power steering is under a heavy load.

Only way to know if the threads are damaged is to check.

Quick Reply: Power steering pressure switch questions