2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Body Lifts / For better or worse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 06:41 AM
eRok666
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY equipment

Originally Posted by eRok666
Ok, the thing is I just got new tires a 1000 miles ago along with parts including: inner/outer tie rods, upper ball joints and longer shocks at the same time. I did the best i could with the toe eyeballing it and with those specs on the sheet i managed to noticeably feel the "cupping" on the outside of the front right tire already. Also very mildly on the left front tire. Which concerns me that their high tech alignment machine is either out of wack or the mechanics are.....well dont know how to use the equipment properly.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ being said I broke down and spent over $200 on an all in one alignment set up from Amazon consisting of some boards & tape measures I'll post a link if I can find it. I guess there was a lot of good reviews about it so I'm in high hopes that it will get me the real deal. It can't be much worse than the almost $90 you spend for one alignment at the shop I have several Vehicles hopefully this will come in handy. That's my next step I guess.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:49 AM
eRok666

[url=http://Tenhulzen Auto 3300 2-Wheel Alignment System All-in-one Tool (Camber/Caster/Toe Plates) [ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PKI0YSU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_QG-9BbGHS92BV]Here's the link to the alignment kit[/ame]

Old 11-23-2018, 09:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Ok, the thing is I just got new tires a 1000 miles ago along with parts including: inner/outer tie rods, upper ball joints and longer shocks at the same time. I did the best i could with the toe eyeballing it and with those specs on the sheet i managed to noticeably feel the "cupping" on the outside of the front right tire already. Also very mildly on the left front tire. Which concerns me that their high tech alignment machine is either out of wack or the mechanics are.....well dont know how to use the equipment properly.
Cupping is shocks, not alignment.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:43 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Cupping is shocks, not alignment.
agreed

Old 11-29-2018, 03:59 AM
eRok666

how is cupping a result of anything related to shocks? Shocks dont change the geometry of how the tire meets the road? From what ive gathered having so much torque on the torsion bars to lift it, in twisting the bar which goes thru the lower control arm turns it down so much it starts to straighten out vertically which kicks the top and outside of the tire to a positive camber state wearing the outside of the tire does it not?

Old 11-29-2018, 04:02 AM
eRok666

Originally Posted by magnethead
Don't worry about caster so much, it doesn't wear tires. Toe and Camber do, and 1/2 degree of camber isn't really worth worrying about. As you said, you can easily do toe at home.
Im not sure that they had it set up right. They said they were aligning to "factory specs" being its lifted with bigger tires and differnt offset and backspacing of the rims i cant imagine itd be factory idk

Old 11-29-2018, 04:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

how is cupping a result of anything related to shocks? Shocks dont change the geometry of how the tire meets the road? From what ive gathered having so much torque on the torsion bars to lift it, in twisting the bar which goes thru the lower control arm turns it down so much it starts to straighten out vertically which kicks the top and outside of the tire to a positive camber state wearing the outside of the tire does it not?
Cupping is from the tire bouncing. You aren't really changing the load on anything by cranking up the torsion bars. Just changing the geometry a bit. Shocks control dampen the up/down movement of the tire, if the shocks are weak, you get cupping.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:34 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Cupping is from the tire bouncing. You aren't really changing the load on anything by cranking up the torsion bars. Just changing the geometry a bit. Shocks control dampen the up/down movement of the tire, if the shocks are weak, you get cupping.
ditto

Old 12-05-2018, 01:09 AM
eRok666

Okay, well in that case i got new rancho shocks all the way around probably 500 miles ago. I got the body lift in the other day too & put the rear tires that hadn't shown any signs of cupping up front. Even with some of the load off of the torsion bars it still feels like it bounces around an awful lot. I don't know I'm lost I just don't want my tires to wear out prematurely

Old 12-06-2018, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

How much distance between the bump stops, and the control arms? Cranking up the torsion bars gives you a bit of lift, but, also decreases that gap.... so yeah, it rides rough... as it bounces against the stops. That's just one of the issues that makes lifting IFS trucks so much, erm.... Fun.

Quick Reply: Body Lifts / For better or worse?