2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Issue with oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 11:34 PM
Thorco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with oil change

Hi everyone. I just got an 01 dakota sport. It has the 3.9l v6. I just did an oil change and when I was adding the new oil it wouldnt flow down through the valves cover easily. Ive done oil changes all my life and its always flowed right down and never backs up at the oil fill hole. Do you know whats causing this and is it something I should take care of right away?

Old 12-03-2018, 01:24 PM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thorco
Hi everyone. I just got an 01 dakota sport. It has the 3.9l v6. I just did an oil change and when I was adding the new oil it wouldnt flow down through the valves cover easily. Ive done oil changes all my life and its always flowed right down and never backs up at the oil fill hole. Do you know whats causing this and is it something I should take care of right away?
I don't know if this is normal for your year or not? I have a 98 3.9 and it takes oil as fast as I can give. It may be the oil return holes are plugged under valve covers. Had this happen a few times in my life and it was from not frequent enough oil changes. sludge builds up, oil slows down. Keep an eye on oil pressure.....

Old 12-03-2018, 02:48 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

If its going down that slow I would pull the cover and take a look it could be sludged up bad.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:36 PM
XSubaruJeepDude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick finger in oil filler inlet, feel for oil bottle cap or plastic bottle lock ring. Jk

Quick Reply: Issue with oil change