2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Swapping auto to manual 3.9 ECM question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 12:13 PM
Bliggity
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping auto to manual 3.9 ECM question

I'm likely going to pull out my auto transmission (which I believe is causing me some issues) and swap in a manual. The truck is an 03 3.9 2WD Quad Cab. The likely route I will take is to find a parts truck to steal all the goodies out of it. My question is the ECM. Can I take the ECM from the manual truck and just straight swap it without any programming etc? Obviously that's if the parts truck is a 3.9 2WD. I'm assuming it needs to be the exact year or at least on 01 or newer? I will be documenting the swap as well. I'm looking forward to it as a manual will bring a "fun" factor to the truck. Thanks for any heads up.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Gotta be careful with the PCM's, there were some changes over the years, and they are not all compatible. I believe, that if it has the correct number of connectors (same as your current PCM), it'll work. You should also grab the harness from the parts donor, as there are some differences there as well. You will need to have the PCM flashed to the correct VIN, for the ABS, and SRS not to whine about it.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:41 PM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I did my swap on my '02 I ordered a pcm from a large Ebay seller that programmed it with my vin before shipping it. I got it for $129 I think and have had no issues with it at all. If you want to go that route, I can look up the seller for you. Or if you have any other questions, I will be glad to help out if I can.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:21 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Contact Ryan Hogan at Flyin Ryan Performance (frptuning.com) he can "flash" your auto PCM into thinking it's a manual. Was nice and easy to do on mine, no check engine light.

Quick Reply: Swapping auto to manual 3.9 ECM question