2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Injector Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 04:01 PM
tkollars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector Upgrade

Hey fellas! I'm new to the forum and have a question for the fuel injector saavy. I recently bought an 02 Dakota with a 4.7l. I am told they have problems with rod bearings and have recently found this to be true. I have the engine all torn down with many new parts ready to go in. I want to extend the life of this truck as much as possible so I am replacing a lot of the parts. Watching a YouTube video about how to replace the injectors, the guy in the video said he was upgrading his injectors to a 12 hole bosch. Has anyone done this? I have found them on eBay and Amazon but want to get opinions before buying. I have heard of the 4 hole upgrade and have read that it is a common upgrade for this engine but can't seem to find much on the 12 hole. I can imagine that it would have problems with clogging as I am sure that the holes are smaller but that is just a guess.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:09 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

There has been testing done, and there is neglible difference between one and 4 hole, i doubt 12 gains anything.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

The idea behind the pencil-beam (one hole) injectors is, it shoots a stream of liquid fuel at the back side of the rather hot intake valve, which flash-vaporizes the fuel (and cools the valve.....). It actually works rather well.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by tkollars
I recently bought an 02 Dakota with a 4.7l. I am told they have problems with rod bearings and have recently found this to be true.
Nah....It's not a problem inherent to the engine. It is a result of bad oil maintenance, such as running it low or not changing the oil. That will wreck any engine over time. If you want this engine to last, keep it full of oil and coolant. Simple as that.

I'm running the original injectors at nearly 300K, heck the whole engine is original and it's driven daily. Got a few backup injectors from the junkyard, but they've been sitting in a drawer for years.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 12-21-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:26 PM
tkollars

Thanks for the info guys. I have decided to just use the same ones, since my plugs and pistons were immaculately clean. That tells me everything is working great.
Yes, keeping up on maintenance does wonders for longevity but when you buy a vehicle off of a teenager, you gamble. Hence why my engine is apart now. [I have only owned this for a year]
I am aware of the negligible changes that fuel spray has but it does change flame speed and pressures with different atomization. Just haven't heard of a 12 hole in these engines. I have heard of them used in the economic 4 cylinders though. That is what I am looking at right now, squeezing as much economy out of it I can.
Anyway, thank you for the info, I am just sticking with stock injectors (which are 2 hole) and putting new o-rings in.
Merry Christmas!

Old 01-28-2019, 09:21 PM
tkollars

Just an update with the injectors. I kept the original injectors and rebuilt them. Changed out the filters as well as cleaned the injectors. It is currently running smoother than when I started. I hope this helps someone that has the same question about upgrading.

Quick Reply: Injector Upgrade