2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

LED upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 04:14 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Default LED upgrades

Got tired of the old dingy and weak yellow lights when backing out the driveway. Also the map lights were about as yellow and dim as can be. I ain't as young as I used to be...need some damn light! Decided to upgrade to LEDs, so I got them all off Amazon. Had to research the map light a bit as the shape of them and how the led chips are arranged, matter. They come in a million configs.

The interior is so much brighter now and bathed in a white light. And they all dim down to nothing just like incandescents, when I hit the remote lock. Anyway, I'll shut up and start posting post pics.

Reverse lights

Map lights...boy were they yellow!

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-03-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:17 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

The same bulbs that fit the map lights, also light up the license plate. A little too bright for my taste, don't want to help the cops find me. LOL

And my main reason for getting LEDs. Totally happy with the bright interior lights. Some of the best $$$ I've spent on this truck.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:26 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

Looks good I upgraded to an LED cab light many years ago it dims and is a very bright light.

They are an improvement Im thinking of some LED headlights just not sure yet.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:36 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Looks great! Thats the first thing I do when I get another vehicle.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:38 PM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's so hard to see at night especially with tinted windows I'll have to get some reverse lights like those

Old 04-10-2019, 07:45 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by Zingo
It's so hard to see at night especially with tinted windows I'll have to get some reverse lights like those
These are what I got...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NPIUFMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NPIUFMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 12-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Looks good I upgraded to an LED cab light many years ago it dims and is a very bright light.

They are an improvement Im thinking of some LED headlights just not sure yet.
I upgraded to LED headlights a little while back. These are a huge improvement over the stock lights and really throw a lot of nice white light on the road. You have to search till you find something with lots of lumens and make sure they are aimed correctly when you install them. I'll try to take some night pics of the headlights in action and post them on this thread.

So now I'm fully converted to LEDs, minus the glove box, bed lights and cluster lights, which I don't plan on changing. Thanks to Magnethead's great thread on modding the flasher relay, I now have no hyperflash. This was accomplished without using a bunch of heavy load resistors at each corner. Instead, the flasher relay's threshold was changed, so it does not activate hyperflash with such a light load. Therefore, the lighting load is truly decreased on the electrical system, so my charging system and battery should reap the benefits.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 12-01-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: LED upgrades