2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Head gasket replacement on a '98 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 10:52 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

If you have patience, a razorblade can be used. Run it at a 45 or 60 degree angle to the forward path, and fairly vertical to decrease the chance of digging in. Otherwise, you can chuck a wire wheel in a cordless drill.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:17 PM
eric2084
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on being very patient with this so will try a mixture of techniques I've read. I'm a little nervous with wire wheel or abrasives (even scotchbrite pads) as it sounds like particles or wire pieces could go flying into where you don't want them to, but if I have to will do so.

Another thought, since I have it tore apart should I pull the lifters and check them out? Is is a pain to do? What should I be looking for or test for? I haven't noticed any valve noise except maybe a little on startup that quickly goes away once the oil starts pumping, not sure what else a bad or going bad lifter symptom would be.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

With the heads off, pulling the lifters will never be any easier...... If you are over 100K miles, I would be real tempted to simply replace them. They aren't really expensive.....

Old 04-28-2019, 09:26 PM
eric2084
Rookie

Well worked all day Sat and got the intake off and started on the passenger side cylinder head, got the exhaust manifold off and loosened all the head bolts and was working out the last bolt by hand with the socket it slipped out of my hand and went right down the rabbit hole into the open exhaust pipe down below, so that ended my day Sat. Today tried fishing it out with a hand made magnet (1/4" vacuum tube and 5/16" neodymium magnets from HF) but couldn't get it out. Tried loosening the bracket and banging the pipe out right by the first O2 sensor but can't seem to get it to come apart. I'm pretty discouraged right now, should have tried the can of the blue stuff....

Old 04-28-2019, 09:41 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by eric2084
Well worked all day Sat and got the intake off and started on the passenger side cylinder head, got the exhaust manifold off and loosened all the head bolts and was working out the last bolt by hand with the socket it slipped out of my hand and went right down the rabbit hole into the open exhaust pipe down below, so that ended my day Sat. Today tried fishing it out with a hand made magnet (1/4" vacuum tube and 5/16" neodymium magnets from HF) but couldn't get it out. Tried loosening the bracket and banging the pipe out right by the first O2 sensor but can't seem to get it to come apart. I'm pretty discouraged right now, should have tried the can of the blue stuff....
Take a sawzall and cut between the Wye and the main catalytic. Will make your life much easier. Use a 2.5" coupler from oreilly's to clamp it back together.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:17 PM
eric2084
Rookie

Originally Posted by magnethead
Take a sawzall and cut between the Wye and the main catalytic. Will make your life much easier. Use a 2.5" coupler from oreilly's to clamp it back together.
Thank you, that's a great idea. Wish I would have posted earlier before banging on the exhaust trying to separate it near the Wye. Now have to try and push that back together, as I did get it to move about 3/4".

Old 05-01-2019, 09:02 PM
eric2084
Rookie

Haven't had a chance to cut the pipe yet, didn't have the right tools. I do have one question though, I got a little aggressive from frustration trying to get those pipes apart and dented the exhaust pipe. Should it still be good enough?
Thanks.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:40 PM
magnethead
Legend

not even noticable...

Old 05-04-2019, 01:24 PM
eric2084
Rookie

OK so I cut the pipe and got the socket out of there. Thanks magnethead. Finished pulling the passenger side head and the gasket looks fine to me, I don't see anywhere that it's blown through, and I don't see anything crazy on the head itself either. I'll work on getting the drivers side head off next and see what I find.

Reason for my post is started talking to a new neighbor up the street who works on vehicles too, and he said that the coolant in the oil symptom (there was probably 1/2 quart) is more likely a cracked block or a seal underneath. I haven't seen that yet in any of my web searches, it's always been head gasket or something with the heads. How likely is it with these 5.2L engines for a block crack? It was running great up to the point where I suddenly started having problems, and it didn't overheat from what temp gauge said and the engine still sounded good too.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

I have seen a lot of headgasket problems, I have seen very few cracked blocks. If your coolant was good to colder than it generally gets where you live, I seriously doubt that is the issue. (cracked block) However, there ARE gaskets on both sides of the timing cover that coolant passes thru, and if one of those let go, you get coolant in the oil.

Quick Reply: Head gasket replacement on a '98 5.2