2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Forgive my ignorance

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 01:35 AM
DodgePirate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgive my ignorance

Ok I picked up a 1997 Dakota 4X4 this week that needs a little work to get it perfect. I’m no Mechanic or body man thankfully my cousin is helping me out. Anyway I have a question. The black film like stuff That reminds me of window tint only it’s over paint between the door and the back side windowis is rough looking on both sides of the truck. What is that stuff called? Is it just window tint? Can I just peel it off? It looks like there is paint under it. Where can I order more if I want to replace it ?

Old 05-05-2019, 04:31 AM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is some kind of vinyl. I think they put it on the SLT trimmed trucks. My '99 had it and it was cracked up and looked hideous so I used a some plastic razor blades and a steam cleaner for getting wrinkles out of clothing to remove it. It worked O.K., but then I had to use acetone to take off the glue residue that was underneath.

I do plan on doing a vinyl wrap type of material to replace it, I think it looks much better with it than without it.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:33 PM
DodgePirate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypilot7
It is some kind of vinyl. I think they put it on the SLT trimmed trucks. My '99 had it and it was cracked up and looked hideous so I used a some plastic razor blades and a steam cleaner for getting wrinkles out of clothing to remove it. It worked O.K., but then I had to use acetone to take off the glue residue that was underneath.

I do plan on doing a vinyl wrap type of material to replace it, I think it looks much better with it than without it.
Could you post a picture of your truck without the vinyl so I can see what it looks like?

Old 05-06-2019, 08:29 PM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here it is without trim:

Also there are a ton of pics with the trim still in place on my rebuild thread here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...w-project.html

Quick Reply: Forgive my ignorance