2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front axle nut

  #1  
Old 06-10-2019, 12:47 AM
biziedizie
biziedizie is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11
Default Front axle nut

1997 Dakota 4x4 front axle nut. Besides an impact is there another way of getting the nut off? Also am I correct that the torque should be 185lbs? I believe that's what I read but I'm not 100%. Thanks
 
  #2  
Old 06-10-2019, 07:19 AM
Skreelink's Avatar
Skreelink
Skreelink is offline
Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 259
Default

Originally Posted by biziedizie View Post
1997 Dakota 4x4 front axle nut. Besides an impact is there another way of getting the nut off? Also am I correct that the torque should be 185lbs? I believe that's what I read but I'm not 100%. Thanks
I just used a 2 foot breaker bar on my 98 to remove. Also, 185 ftlb is correct. They're nylon insert nuts, so make sure to get new ones with the hubs. Though, this was on a rwd.
 
  #3  
Old 06-10-2019, 10:58 AM
magnethead
magnethead is offline
Grand Champion
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,654
Default

Not sure if 2wd and 4wd are the same. As far as removal, I used a 3 ft 3/4 drive breaker bar, climbed up on it, and jumped until it broke loose. (That's about 600 ft-lb of breaking torque)
 
  #4  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:13 AM
Skreelink's Avatar
Skreelink
Skreelink is offline
Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 259
Default

Originally Posted by magnethead View Post
Not sure if 2wd and 4wd are the same. As far as removal, I used a 3 ft 3/4 drive breaker bar, climbed up on it, and jumped until it broke loose. (That's about 600 ft-lb of breaking torque)
I expected to hear magnethead say "I backed the dragster up and attached it to the wheel, and simply mashed the gas on the dragster to spin the nut off."
 
  #5  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:18 AM
magnethead
magnethead is offline
Grand Champion
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,654
Default

Originally Posted by Skreelink View Post
I expected to hear magnethead say "I backed the dragster up and attached it to the wheel, and simply mashed the gas on the dragster to spin the nut off."
On a related note, have you seen Milwaukee's new 1" drive electric impact? It's like the machine gun of impact guns.
 
  #6  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Skreelink's Avatar
Skreelink
Skreelink is offline
Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 259
Default

Originally Posted by magnethead View Post
On a related note, have you seen Milwaukee's new 1" drive electric impact? It's like the machine gun of impact guns.
Can't imagine the battery lasts too long on it, but it's likely a beast.
 
  #7  
Old 06-12-2019, 02:33 AM
biziedizie
biziedizie is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11
Default

I ended up sticking a long pipe on the ratchet and it finally came off. The guy at the parts store said that the left and the right side shafts are the same but I've read differently online. Who's right the guy who does it for a living or people who own online?
 
  #8  
Old 06-12-2019, 12:47 PM
magnethead
magnethead is offline
Grand Champion
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,654
Default

Originally Posted by biziedizie View Post
I ended up sticking a long pipe on the ratchet and it finally came off. The guy at the parts store said that the left and the right side shafts are the same but I've read differently online. Who's right the guy who does it for a living or people who own online?
Check what RockAuto lists, but i'm fairly sure they are different.
 
  #9  
Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 PM
biziedizie
biziedizie is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by magnethead View Post
Check what RockAuto lists, but i'm fairly sure they are different.
Will do, thanks
 
  #10  
Old 06-16-2019, 04:56 PM
XSubaruJeepDude
XSubaruJeepDude is offline
Professional
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 138
Default

Very informative video and channel

Leverage is your friend.
 

Last edited by XSubaruJeepDude; 06-16-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front axle nut


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: