2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dakota with posible computer problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 09:28 AM
bzeiher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dakota with posible computer problems

My 2000 Dodge Dakota started stalling over the last few months. The last time it stalled for me, it took approximately 15 minutes before it would start again. While trying to start it, I notice the odometer changed from a number to a phrase "No Bus". I'm assuming that is telling me it cant find the computer.

Any thoughts?

Bill

Old 06-15-2019, 09:37 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

No bus is just that. The computers, PCM, CTM, ABS, Cluster, etc., can't talk to each other.

A common issue is a bad/shorted Crank or Cam position sensor on the 5v supply from the PCM.

What engine do you have?

Old 06-15-2019, 01:41 PM
bzeiher

I have the 4.7 ltr

Another update … the problem gets worse as the engine runs longer (gets hotter) Stop and go traffic for 30+ minutes , the problem will surface quicker....

another issue that I'm seeing is … the dash board stops working. the gauges stop reading actual readings when this problem occurs. When I turn the key off and on nothing changes. Once I see the gauges working, I know the truck will start.

It takes approx. 15 minutes of rest .. then the truck will start. the other symptom is … this does not always happen at a stop … the last trip today, the engine cut off at 45 miles an hour.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:47 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Being thermal related, could be a couple things. Crank/cam sensor getting hot and shorting internally, or PCM getting hot and the circuit board warping/loosing connection inside.

This has floated around the internet over he years and been verified a few times as working:

Anyone with a Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep with the jtec style computer, there is a simple solution to the random rough idle and stalling issues. Remove the left torx screw on the PCM computer, add two washers and then replace the screw. Can do the same with the other side, but do them one at a time. The screw seems to be just long enough to eventually ground out a component inside the computer and cause the engine to stall out. Didn't believe it myself, but when I pressed on the screw there in the front the engine died and backing the screw out fixed the issue. On warm days or once the engine was warmed up, the thermal expansion must have been just enough to momentarily ground the component.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:13 PM
bzeiher

wow! very interesting .

What I don't understand … is why does an engineer care if the crank shaft is not turning .. why shut off the engine if the sensor is giving back false information. turn the engine light on … don't turn off the engine....

what happened to the old school of no computers.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:01 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I think Magnethead nailed it. It's definitely thermal.

The ignition timing and fuel injection are dependent upon the cam/crank position sensors. Without them, the engine won't run well, if at all, and it could possibly cause damage say due to a misfire.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:57 PM
bzeiher

The Dealer is coming back saying that Mopar does not make the computer anymore. NAPA is the next best thing. Any recommendations?

Old 06-17-2019, 11:52 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

try the screw trick. And correct, PCM's have been unobtainium from mopar for a while. There are a few refurbishing houses but they're all EHHHHHH at best.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dakota with posible computer problems