2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1998 Dakota 5.2 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 02:01 PM
bigb78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Dakota 5.2 will not start

I recently bought a 1998 Dakota and it was idling rough when first started. It would rev high then almost die. Previous owner said this started after installing new injectors. After a little bit of driving it would stop and no issues. I just did an oil change and changed the upstream o2 thinking that might be the issue. Truck seemed to be running great after that. Then Saturday a mile away from home while sitting at a light my truck just died. It would crank but will not start. There was an injector with a bad oring leaking but that oring was replaced, no change. There is fuel at the rail when cranking but idk what else to check. I'm going to do a tune up today and see what happens, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, ignition coil.

If those don't work my next step is a crank position sensor after seeing that is a common issue.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:08 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Does it try to cough if you hold the throttle blades open? Defeating the idle air control

Do the screwdriver test for spark, or use a spark plug if you have one around.

If we know it's getting air, and we know it has spark, next thing will be seeing if the injectors are firing. Should have 45-55 PSI at the fuel rail during crank and run.

If fuel or spark are missing, look at the crankshaft position sensor, as well as the camshaft position sensor (in the base of the distiributor).

Old 06-24-2019, 11:02 PM
bigb78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
Does it try to cough if you hold the throttle blades open? Defeating the idle air control

Do the screwdriver test for spark, or use a spark plug if you have one around.

If we know it's getting air, and we know it has spark, next thing will be seeing if the injectors are firing. Should have 45-55 PSI at the fuel rail during crank and run.

If fuel or spark are missing, look at the crankshaft position sensor, as well as the camshaft position sensor (in the base of the distiributor).
Ended up finding broken spark plug wire.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dakota 5.2 will not start