2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Ignition ring light wont go off - 98 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 06:36 PM
MotorCity1985
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition ring light wont go off - 98 Dakota

Every search comes back with info on this light NOT working, but mine won't shut off. It happened about 2 months ago and I was able to get it to shut off by starting the truck again. I noticed it the first time before going in the house. I went out this morning and my battery was completely dead, so I suspected that this was the problem again. (Battery is brand new) After jumping it, I couldn't get the ignition ring light to go off. Doors were shut, interior lights off. I ended up pulling the fuse for parking and interior lights under the hood. I can't drive it at night without this fuse, so can anyone give me some advice here? Thank you so much!

I thought of pulling the bulb out, but I'd rather come up with a better fix than that.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Really need wiring diagrams, my favorite site for such doesn't appear to have them.

Looking at a 98 Ram truck manual..... The 'halo' lite is controlled by the Central Timer Module. Power comes in to the lamp via a pink wire, from fuse 12, to pin 3 on connector C2, ground side goes to CTM with a yellow/red wire, at pin 4. Wouldn't surprise me if the wire colors/pinout weren't the same..... but, ya never know.

I would suspect the CTM is the issue..... Or, the yellow/red wire is grounding out somewhere.

Are any other lights controlled that way? (stay on after you close the door for a bit, and then turn off?) If there are, and they are working properly, I would more suspect the wire grounding out somewhere...... (for the halo)

Old 07-05-2019, 02:07 PM
MotorCity1985

Everything else functions properly, so I highly doubt that it's the CTM. After driving it again, the problem went away, so there is a loose wire somewhere. If I have an issue when I take it apart, I'll check back in. Otherwise, I should be able to figure this out. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-07-2019, 03:59 PM
MotorCity1985

Ok, maybe it is the CTM. Haven't started it in two days, halo light was off when I left it. Can't find anything else malfunctioning. Battery is dead now. My question is if I can test the CTM myself or at the dealer so I don't have to order one and do the whole trial and error thing. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2020, 12:03 PM
Jimmy Peabody
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 97 ram . The problem was a shutdown timer in the forward area of the fuseblock it is a aluminum cylinder relay long and narrow. You have to un screw the fuse block to get to it . It is a thermal device that activates when the dome lights come on. Mine kept staying on. Then it burned itself out . Very frustrating to find as everyone was saying it was a device somewhere else! It is labeled as a timer in very small writing on the fuse block

Old 11-22-2020, 12:53 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

I never depend on it just reach around insert key off I go muscle memory I guess and I drive at night 90% of the time.

Just cut the wire do without

Quick Reply: Ignition ring light wont go off - 98 Dakota