2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Looking at a 99 R/T, what should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 02:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
Holy sh**. Wow. The locker is like $400 and takes one hour to install. Those shops don't know what TF they are doing. $12-1500 is to do a whole new ring/gear/locker install. If you asked for a lunchbox locker, they don't know what the F that is.

Your 1994 V6 should be a 27 spline 8.25" (oval diff cover). If you have the 3.27 or 3.55 gears you can install the lunchbox locker at home. 3.92 I think clears, 4.10 requires using a special crosspin or grinding the inside tip of the ring gear. You pop out the C-clip, pull the axles out, remove the old cross-pin and all the spider gears, put the spacers in, then the splined teeth, re-install the C-clips, then put the center teeth in, then install the crosspin.

Shop labor will run you about $150-200, it's about 1.5 hours if you take your time.

https://www.justdifferentials.com/Ch...lbc8.25-27.htm

Call Just Differentials (Nitro Gear). Ask for Drew Bostwick or Mike Mundinger. Tell them Steve McDermott (From Josh/Baertrax) sent you.
I agree with this assessment. More than a couple hundred bucks is just stupid. This is something you can quite likely do in your driveway in an hour or two....... with just basic hand tools.

The following users liked this post:
magnethead (07-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Looking at a 99 R/T, what should I look for?