2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 10:59 PM
Polaris2001
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant leak

Hey everyone! So my precious pavement princess dakota has been having some troubles recently. I looked up the issues and couldnt really find anything on here other than the possibility of blown head gaskets, but i dont believe that to be the case.

For refrence, its a 2001 4.7L Dakota.

It was leaking coolant out the water pump, so i had that replaced. And now it is randomly dumping coolant all over the drivers side of the engine bay. Leaving a puddle and making a mess all over. It appears to be either coming from the overflow reservoir or the cap on the top rad hose. Im not sure which. But it did it one day when i was going home, and parked in the driveway, then it just did it when i stopped for gas, it has been almost 3 days since it did it on my driveway, and its only doing it when I stop and turn the truck off. It just got a new motor and rad along with waterpump. So what could it possibly be? I was thinking it might be the radiator cap but im unsure. Heres some pictures of it covering the whole driver side of the truck

Is this a simple fix or is it time to sell the Dak?
Thanks in advance

Old 07-13-2019, 03:50 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

have you replaced the upper hose, or is it still factory?

Old 07-13-2019, 03:58 AM
Polaris2001

Originally Posted by magnethead
have you replaced the upper hose, or is it still factory?
its still the factory one that was on my old motor. Is it a common issue? And if so should I go OEM for a replacement or is there a recommended aftermarket one to get?

Old 07-13-2019, 11:26 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Rent a pressure tester and pump it up to 21 psi. This will allow u to check things while cold.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:53 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Mine failed at 175K, split right in half at the cap

Old 07-13-2019, 08:51 PM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a coolant leak on my '03 Dakota 4.7 that was very random like yours and it was the upper hose you pictured. It wasn't that severe, but still a leak none the less. I didn't hesitate to buy aftermarket, it's a simple part, and easy to replace if it did fail again quickly.
I also had an '01 Dakota 4.7 (RIP) that had a bad head gasket and when it got a too warm it would spit coolant out the reservoir like a gyser. Hopefully that's not your problem!

I'd bet it's the upper hose assembly.

Last edited by Zingo; 07-13-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:53 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by Zingo
I'd bet it's the upper hose assembly.
You're right in that it's a common leak. The neck has no support for repeated pushing down to remove the cap and it eventually cracks. Shouldn't be hard to spot, esp under pressure. Just use a broomstick etc to push up/move the assembly while hot. Or gently with gloves and goggles That way u dont get spewed with hot coolant. I bought a cheap neck, just the T, and it failed in a year. Got the mopar hose assembly from Advance Auto a few months ago and am now conscious of how hard I push down on the cap.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:58 PM
Polaris2001

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
You're right in that it's a common leak. The neck has no support for repeated pushing down to remove the cap and it eventually cracks. Shouldn't be hard to spot, esp under pressure. Just use a broomstick etc to push up/move the assembly while hot. Or gently with gloves and goggles That way u dont get spewed with hot coolant. I bought a cheap neck, just the T, and it failed in a year. Got the mopar hose assembly from Advance Auto a few months ago and am now conscious of how hard I push down on the cap.
That actually makes so much, sense, with how I have had to put new coolant in after I put the new motor in, after the new radiators, and after the waterpump all within a short span of time!
Thanks for that. I just replaced the piece today and Ill update you all if I have any more issues.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:06 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You may while your at it replace the thermostat as well. Might even go with a lower temp one to keep things running cool.

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...ersistYmm=true

Old 07-16-2019, 07:47 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by ZEN357
You may while your at it replace the thermostat as well. Might even go with a lower temp one to keep things running cool.
The 4.7 thermostat is down underneath where the lower rad hose meets the block. I don't suggest going with a lower temp thermostat with this engine or running conventional oil. You want water condensation to burn off and avoid sludge.... like the stuff you already see under the oil fill cap.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak