2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HVAC blower

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 02:26 PM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HVAC blower

Hey All,
I have a 1998 Dakota 3.9L and the blower for AC has a tendency to not come on every once in a while. Sometimes it just comes on when it wants. Wondering how much of a job it is to get at? I know you have to roll the dash for the heater core, I'm hoping the blower is a littleeasier.....thanks!

Old 07-16-2019, 02:33 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

No such luck only way to replace the fan is to remove the dash not fun unless you have people to help you.

If you do need to remove it replace all you can as you dont want to ever do it again.

You will need to disconnect the A/C and heater hoses before you start.

I did it by myself but it sucked.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:48 PM
Skreelink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being as it works intermittently, I'd look moreso at the resistor or relay. Relay should be in the hood power center, resistor should be accessible via the passenger floorboard or via removing glovebox. I don't know the exacts as I've not had to deal with this issue on my 98. However, the same issue on a friend's 94 turned out to be the resistor, which is easily found on the passenger firewall under the hood.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:43 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Skreelink wrong on a 98 Dakota the resistor is under the cowel in a very hard spot to get at unless you are good at yoga you are also wrong about the fan it is not accessible except by removing the dash.

The 98 Dakota is very different than all the other years 99 and up and finding a service manual for that very odd ball year is impossible they don't exist.

A large number of things are very different on a 98 Dakota compared to all the other year 2nd gen Dakotas some parts only cover a 98 Dakota.

I've been dealing with this for over 20 years and I'm sure to find more 98 Dakota weirdness.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:51 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

A pic of the cowl location for the resistor up under inside the cowl.

A pic of its location from inside the cab on the firewall only accessible by removal of the dash it cant be reached by the glove box now you can unbolt the dash and pull the dash out to the point that you can get at it but removing the cowl is the easiest but very uncomfortable way to get at it.

This is a pic of a 1st gen Dakota resistor pack easy to get at on the firewall.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:23 PM
Skreelink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As said, hadn't looked into it on mine (a 98), just some quick lookups. It does seem the info I found was listed for 01+. Sorry for any incorrect information.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:01 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

The resistor pack is so hard to get at/remove I recommend testing the resistor pack by pulling out the HVAC controller and testing the connections or testing the wires.

Replacing the resistor pack on a 98 Dakota is just a nasty no fun job a very poor job by Dodge.

A pic of a 98 HVAC controller just below the words 98 Dakota in yellow are the fan power connections for each speed this is were you test each resistor in the pack.

I will say on a 98 Dakota the resistor pack usually don't blow/burn up its not a common problem like the 2000 and up Dakota resistor packs do.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:23 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

OK I found this tutorial it looks like you can just tilt the dash back to test and get at the resistor pack.

But you can do the same test by the HVAC controller just follow the wire color code in the tutorial and check each resistor.

https://easyautodiagnostics.com/chry...sistor-block-1

This is the wire connector to the HVAC controller the wire colors match the tutorial so no need to do anything to the dash just pull the HVAC controller out and test.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 07-16-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:25 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow....appreciate all the pics and diagrams. I will do the easiest first, the relay. I'm not in the mood to deal with the dash right now it's too hot. I do need my AC so I'll do whatever I have to in order to keep it going. Very hot here in central Florida right now. Thanks again for all the pics man!!!

I don't think the resistor is bad cause when the fan works all speeds are fine. It's nice to know the 98 is a little more robust when it comes to the resistor ban.

Last edited by Robertwav1; 07-17-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:44 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

The only other thing it could be then is the fan is almost burned out or bearings jammed up.

Fix pull dash disconnect heater hoses A/C lines vacuum line pull HVAC box open replace all parts inside. Best is replace fan and heater core the A/C Evaporator Core is usually OK but give it a good inspection. If the blend door is trashed getting a replacement may be impossible clean it up and paint it that,s that it will leak a little but still work.

Be extremely careful of the blend door cable clip on top of the HVAC box they snap very easy and replacements are zero.

Getting a friend to help will save you time and anger.

Quick Reply: HVAC blower