2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dakota 4.7L, Oil Leak Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 02:03 AM
Tsz Mak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dakota 4.7L, Oil Leak Issue

It's my first truck, old 144k miles 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4.7L. Not too familiar with trucks or that mechanical, just used to doing basic maintenance(oil change, brake jobs, nothing else).

Did an oil change on it, only had 1-2 quart dried up in there, flushed it and topped it off around 5.5 quart.

Found it's been leaving 2 oil spots in front side of engine right below the radiator fans. It's all over the place can't tell where it's splattering from. The oil sensor is pretty steady at "higher" end of the normal range (70 i think..?). Only drove it a few times short distance, but it's got so many issues. Really love the truck but want to keep it running forever. I saw oil pressure sensor being a common issue, but don't seem to see any leaks from it, also checked oil filter and plug seems fine and dry.

please advise.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:47 AM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

At your mileage try to do a complete wipe down and cleaning of the oil/under the engine block. Part of the problems with these trucks is the build up of oil and oil's resistance to staying put after leaking or a change and collecting dust for years. So clean it all up, then after another tank of gas (200-300 miles later basically). You will usually have a much clearer picture of the problem on hand. Whether the spills were true leaks (then all you have to do is look straight up to find your problem), built up dirty oil (which is no big deal, kind of is the blessing you want) or you have a drip leak somewhere which at 144K+ is honestly the life expectancy of the 4.7L, so it's just old and you need to make sure just to keep an eye on your oil.

You're pictures are too up close for me to really be able to get a bearing on what we are looking at, if you have any that are at more of a distance, it could be helpful.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:18 AM
Tsz Mak

Thanks for your advice. I'll find a better day with lighting to get more detailed photos. I'll also do the wipe down when I get the chance to see how it is.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:26 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

You can't "wipe down the engine." You need around three cans of engine cleaner (Walmart Supertech brand is cheap and works) and a hose. Wait till the engine is cold, spray it with the cleaner and wait about ten minutes, then hose it off. Cover the alternator and fuse box with plastic bags and avoid spraying them. Everything else is game. You can jack up and spray from underneath too. If you have a leaf blower, blow it off then drive it to dry. Once it's clean, you start looking for oil leaks, get under it with a strong light if necessary. Most common leak will probably be the valve cover gaskets. Also, look for the highest point where you see oil and that's where you'll likely find your leak. Oil doesn't drain up and you usually can't tell anything by looking at the bottom.... oil pan, control arms, etc. Those are usually a mess cause...well, gravity.

Also, 144K is barely scratching the surface. These 4.7L can rack up some incredible mileage with the most basic care. Run synthetic oil, keep it topped off along with the coolant. Don't ever overheat it. I'm approaching 310K right now and it's my daily driver. I've seen guys with over half a million.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 10-30-2019 at 06:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
smokin1994 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 06:56 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

I'd get a UV test kit with yellow safety glasses and black light pen. Pour a small bottle of oil UV dye in the engine and run a tank of gas through the engine. The dye will leak out the leak and show up as a yellowish green stain. You can then trace it back to it's origin.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:10 PM
Tsz Mak

Thanks Blacknights & ol'grouch. I'm hoping this becomes a rusty and trusty truck too. Being in Minnesota this was quite a rusty piece, especially undercarriage. Least it the wheelwell area and front/rear bumper was replaced, basic paintjob redone. Excited to get it running well and start towing some stuff someday. It is pretty old and I'm planning to run this up to high mileage living too.

Winter have arrived so I'll get even less time to investigate this, but I'll definitely hose this down and get some engine cleaners like you stated. Once I narrow if this is oil or transfer case transmission leak, I'll post back and get some more insights.

Thanks all~

Quick Reply: 2000 Dakota 4.7L, Oil Leak Issue