2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

ABS and brake light on

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 01:50 PM
ebtaylor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and brake light on

2000 dodge Dakota Sport 4 door 2wd.
Did a brake job front and back (pads shoes bleeding) and replaced sensor on rear diff. reset ecu by disconnecting the + battery and shorting it to the frame for 30-40 seconds or so then tried just disconnecting the battery overnight .
Lights still on any ideas? brakes seem to work fine dont know if the abs is working havent found the need to try and lock up the brakes yet. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:41 AM
Ryan LaRue
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check the brake fluid level and if it's good, replace the sensor in the master cylinder.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:28 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

You likely flipped the bias valve while bleeding. It may still be stuck. It should be on the proportioning valve, its a single wire that just snaps on.

Old 11-23-2019, 01:28 PM
destruction
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and brake light finally fixed

2001 Dodge Dakota crew SLT 4x4 4.7 with 45RFE tranny

Mechanic replaced my caliper and had the same issue. he couldn't figure it out so I started researching couldn't get any resolution. I replaced the rear abs sensor, he replaced the master and bleed again same problem. He initially said when he was bleeding the brakes the fluid got low and got air into the system. He re bleed 4 times nothing. Dodge pressure bleed was going to charge ($160) and nothing. Dodge wanted to replace the Proportionate valve because you cant buy just the sensor. I went to the junk yard unscrewed a sensor for $5 to replace. Turns out I didnt even need the sensor it was fine but this was my problem below

Here was my FIX. If you have a screw in sensor in the center of your proportionate valve try this.
Unhooked negative battery terminal
unhook sensor connector,
unscrew sensor (DO NOT TOUCH BRAKE PEDAL) see if there is fluid in hole the sensor was removed from.
mine was dry three drops of brake fluid in the hole screw sensor back in reconnect and lights are off

I believe models with rear ABS only have the sensor in the proportionate valve. My new master cylinder does have a sensor on it but it doesn't connect to anything

My limited understanding is the sensor indicates low fluid and also stops the valve from going back and forth to far. when he got air in the line in settled in that location
I have not read this fix anywhere before so hopefully it saves someone a lot of money and time.
Good luck

Last edited by destruction; 11-23-2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: updated make and model of truck

Quick Reply: ABS and brake light on