2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Horn relay issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 11:17 PM
shermand34
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn relay issues

Hey all. I have a 1997 Dakota 4x4 with 5.2, power windows and locks. Couplyissues I’m having. First off I’ve posted here before but no one replied. I did a off there frame restoration of this truck. New motor the works. Original wiring harness. When I first got it got it done she started right off. Ran ten off ten three times. Heard a noise in transmission area from rebuilt Tranny. Started to pull it to find I bent inspection plate. That was rubbing. Put back together and cranks and that’s it. 5 volt reference is only putting out 1.9 volts. No fuel no spark. Now the security light is on too. Plus when I hook up the battery and turn key to on position the horn relay starts clicking. Only way to stop it is unhook the battery.

any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, replaced PCM twice. Does the same thing.

thanks

Old 03-02-2020, 03:15 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

I would check the wiring harness in the vicinity of the work you did, also making sure to check whether the harness has gotten against the exhaust. You may have pinched a wire somewhere, or burned one through. I've done both in the past. Embarrassing, but also easily solvable. I would also check the grounds, because a bad ground can affect multiple systems and give odd readings like the 1.9V where 5V is expected. Since this is a new install, you may have missed torquing a ground down, and it's vibrated loose. Good luck with it.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:35 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd agree with the above. Check the grounds and look for a pinched wire.

The clicking horn relay may be related to the security light. Did you change either the CTM or PCM before that light came on?

Old 03-02-2020, 04:36 PM
shermand34
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice very much. I get home I’m gonna get it up in the air and start following wires again. That’s my thought too. Since it stopped running after I started to remove the Tranny. I did have it pulled back about a quarter of a inch when I found the inspection plate was bent. As for the security light, someone said they thought I may have locked it at some point and pcm isn’t recognizing it’s not locked. I have put two new pcm’s in it. Not remans. The ctm was another thought I had.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:45 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Very possible you pinched/shorted the wires going to the crank sensor.

Quick Reply: Horn relay issues