2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 4cyl Sport Oil Pressure Sender

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 05:40 PM
rickself
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got ‘er! My arthritis is giving me hell for twisting my hands but it’s worth it when it’s finished. Thanks guys for the input and support. Can’t stop me now - Next weekend - power steering lines!

Old 05-02-2020, 06:12 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by rickself
Which brings up a second question - how do you keep your engine so damn clean? Mine has never been clean and I drive through the farming country 30 minutes each way to work and back. I have to park on a street that intersects a state highway with oil industry trucks and farming trucks driving by 24 hours a day. So I get my share of dust. I'm just fearful of driving to the 25¢ car wash and not being able to restart the engine.
Just get a few cans of engine degreaser and spray down the engine while cold or warm, not hot. Spray it down and wait about ten minutes before you hose it off. Cover the alternator and fusebox with plastic bags. You can just lay the bags over them and that should be enough. After you hose it off, blow off the water with a leaf blower. Start and drive it right after.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:06 PM
rickself
Veteran

Thanks for the cleaning tip, Dodgevity! Should it be a foam type cleaner? Some of those spray on cleaners have such a strong petroleum smell / base.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:02 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by rickself
Thanks for the cleaning tip, Dodgevity! Should it be a foam type cleaner? Some of those spray on cleaners have such a strong petroleum smell / base.
You can get a few cans of the cheap Supertech degreaser at Walmart. Works the same as the Gunk stuff. Doesn't smell too bad. Use a toothbrush to scrub things like power steering and brake fluid reservoir. You don't need very high water pressure. Just a regular hose nozzle. (I don't believe in pressure washing engines). Forces water where you might not want it to go.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:08 PM
rickself
Veteran

Stupid question after the fact. I didn’t put Teflon tape around the threads and now have a puddle of oil under the truck. Do I need to take the sensor out and wrap the threads? Or just try to tighten the sensor?

Old 05-03-2020, 02:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Should be pipe threads, so, try tightening it up a little bit.

Old 05-03-2020, 03:09 PM
rickself
Veteran

I took the sender out completely and the area around the fitting seems clean and dry.
Having driven with the bad sensor for a few months, would that new one cause a leak somewhere else?
And now that I have it out, should I tape the threads?
Uggghhh.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:05 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

The new ones come with teflon or some type of pipe dope already on the threads.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:08 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Yea, new ones have a red paste already in the threads. Once it's been installed, you'll need to tape it. We use a liquid teflon around here instead of tape.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:15 PM
rickself
Veteran

I didn't see anything on the threads and didn't have any liquid teflon so wrapped some teflon tape around it.

Quick Reply: 2000 4cyl Sport Oil Pressure Sender