2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Ignition coil issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 06:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

If it's just one, then yeah, you can change just one. If it is more than one, change them ALL. (which I advocate anyway, they all live in the same environment, if one is failing, you can bet the rest aren't too far behind.)

Old 06-03-2020, 08:36 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

now THAT revelation makes me wonder if it's wet fuel. Do you get fuel at the same station every time?

Old 06-03-2020, 08:52 PM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope. I stop at several different gas stations around town and the town over. Is there any good fuel or fuel injector cleaner?

Old 06-03-2020, 10:36 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Lucas works great, as does the expensive bottle of Techron. Heet will help water in the fuel.

As for fuel, pick one of the big name brands and stick with it. The only ones I use are Curt's around home (US sourced fuel,) and VP Racing when I visit my family in the next state over. If we had Amoco or Chevron, that's all I'd use. When you aren't picky about it, you might be filling with some cheap blend of trash that that station owner gets at a discount. Not everyone is ethical.

One other thing, if the fuel truck is in the parking lot, don't fill at that station. When they're filling the main tanks they're stirring up any trash that might be in the tank and it takes about 30 minutes to settle back down. I've filled at a station that had the truck filling the tank before, and didn't get 20 miles down the road before the filter was plugged. Dropping the tank revealed all sorts of water and trash in the tank that wasn't there when I'd changed the fuel pump a few months before. Guess what I got to do again?

X2 on if you need to replace one, you should replace them all. But you can just replace one.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:25 AM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vimes
He may have two problems. A fuel pressure gauge would be needed to see if fuel pressure is dropping off under operation.
So would I need a fuel pressure gauge or a scanner to check this? It doesn't happen at idle. (Unless it starts just before stopping at a traffic light) So it's not like I can just put a fuel gauge on it and idle my truck and read the fuel gauge. Wouldn't I need to check the fuel pressure while the issue is happening?

Old 06-04-2020, 01:30 AM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

I do live next to and gas up frequently in Waterbury Connecticut. Which is a **** whole inner city. So I'd imagine they would get some ****ty gas. I'm not really sure who would be a big name gas station in our area. Guess I never thought about who these places get their gas from. I am gonna start running mid grade all the time now. May even try 93 and see if that changes anything.
i had mentioned dropping the tank to see what the inside of the tank looks like however was told to just wait to do it till I get a new fuel pump.
Also I. Gonna scan the CEL tomorrow to see what popped up this third time.
I feel like a partial plugged injector would make sense the way it momentarily seems like it's starving for fuel.
I looked on line and it seems like an injector would be about 30 bucks all 6 around 125 but idk every time I look up part prices on line it's way more expensive in the local auto parts store
​​

Last edited by Mechanical_Tree; 06-04-2020 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:10 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

If you can locate a fuel pressure tester with an electronic sending unit, that would be the way to go. But, it might be worth it to just risk the 30 and replace the one injector. It would be a lot cheaper than a fuel pump, and if it solves the problem you can plan on a more thorough project to resolve it later.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:13 AM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

I put mid grade again and it started to kinda come back. Think I'm gonna go back to that Cumberland farms I went to last time it helped my problem
Also gonna put some fuel cleaner. Still haven't made it to AutoZone to check my code again. If it is cylinder one again. Think I'm gonna change that injector. I think it is partially plugged cuz when I hammer on the gas it seems to get enough gas and stop the misfire or whatever is going on and drive normal. Also think I'm gonna put new spark plugs and a distributor.
Thanks for your help and info all of yall
ill keep you posted

Last edited by Mechanical_Tree; 06-05-2020 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

When you hammer on the gas, the PCM also goes into open loop, and runs the engine via tables, instead of the adaptive system with the O2 sensors. Could be an injector problem, could be a fuel pressure problem.... though I would expect fuel pressure to affect more than just one cylinder.

Clean out the fuel rails when you are changing the injector as well.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:49 AM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

Thanks for that info. I will clean the fuel rail.
also, as for the fuel pressure possible issue. Remember now the second time the CEL light came on it said cylinder one misfire and it said fuel pressure sensor bad. So that makes sense for a fuel pressure issue. Because every time I fuel up it always happens. So I gotta ask. These trucks don't have a fuel pressure sensor. So what would cause a fuel pressure problem? Would that be the evap canister? Or something with the evap system?

Quick Reply: Ignition coil issues